Margaret Willett, wife of Moses Linton, March 5, 1830 – March 10, 1908 Gethsemani Abbey Cemetery, Nelson County, Kentucky
Today is the 163rd anniversary of the marriage of Margaret Willett, daughter of George W. S. Willett and Nancy Hancock, and Moses F. Linton, son of Moses Linton and Ann Nancy Pead.
Margaret and Moses had both previously been married, their spouses dying at a young age, and leaving no children. Moses first married Nancy Hagan, a daughter of Edward and Mary Hagan, August 16, 1838. His brother William Yerby Linton was married to Nancy Hagan’s sister, Mary Hagan. Margaret Willett first married John L. Kennedy November 9, 1848, in Nelson County. He died within a year.
Moses and Margaret had 10 children: William Franklin, Mary Louisa Ann, John Kennedy, Joseph Charles Fenton, Susan Jane, Moses Filmore, Regina, James Curtis, Ruth Ann and Margaret Linton. The Linton farm was part of the boundary of Gethsemani Abbey. Many family members are buried there; Nancy’s stone is shown above. However, Moses Linton’s grave is not to be found. Perhaps he was buried on the farm. He died April 4, 1876.
This is a map of the property of Gethsemani Abbey. If you look in the upper right-hand corner you will see the name Moses Linton. His brother owned property in the lower right-hand corner listed as Mr. Linton.
Moses Linton was born in Washington County, Kentucky, his father emigrated from Loudoun County, Virginia, blazing the trail for the rest of the family soon to follow. Moses F. Linton was the grandson of Captain John Hancock Linton and Ann Nancy Mason. Margaret lived another 32 years, caring for the children and the grandchildren that were soon to follow.
A list of their children and spouses:
- William Franklin Linton married Catherine Welsh, January 27, 1879, in Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Mary Louisa Ann Linton married George Napoleon Nalley, May 26, 1879.
- John Kennedy Linton married Jane McCarthy.
- Joseph Charles Fenton Linton married Annie McCarthy
- Susan Jane Linton married William Eugene Shircliff, May 2, 1893.
- Moses Filmore Linton, Jr., married Sarah Ann Vittitow, April 21, 1902.
- Regina Linton did not marry.
- James Curtis Linton married Eliza Josephine Linton, March 8, 1871.
- Ruth Ann Linton married George Albert Burba, November 19, 1901.
- Margaret Linton married Anthony Burns, January 25, 1909.