from History of Clayton County, Iowa, Volume 2
Peter B. Green was born on the 5th of June, 1853, and passed his entire life in the State of Iowa, where he rose to prominence and large prosperity as one of the representative agriculturists and stock-growers of Clayton county and where he was the owner of a valuable landed estate, which his widow still retains in her possession and to the management of which she gives careful and judicious supervision. Mrs. Green resides on the finely improved homestead farm, eligibly situated in Sperry township, about one mile distant from the village of Volga, and she is the owner of a valuable estate of two hundred and sixty-seven acres, the homestead place being endeared to her by the gracious memories and associations of the past and being valued the more by her because it figured as the stage of the earnest and successful labors of her honored husband. Peter B. Green was a resident of Clayton county from his infancy until the time of his death, which occurred on the 27th of March, 1900, and his character and achievement were such as to cause his memory to be honored by all who knew him, his remains being laid to rest in the cemetery at Volga. He was a loyal citizen, a progressive and reliable business man, a staunch advocate of the cause of the Republican party and an earnest and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which his widow still continues to be actively concerned and of which she is a devoted adherent. Mr. Green was adopted in infancy by Daniel and Hartley (Brown) Green, whose marriage was solemnized in Cambridgeshire, England, on the 21st of June, 1840, both having been born and reared in that fair county of merrie old England. Daniel Green was born at Wittlesea, Cambridgeshire, on the 22d of December, 1818, and was there reared and educated. After their marriage he and his wife continued their residence in their native land for somewhat more than a decade, and on the 4th of April, 1852, they severed the cherished ties and set sail for America. In 1854 they became pioneer settlers in Clayton county, Iowa, where Mr. Green secured a tract of wild land and developed a productive farm, both he and his wife having passed the remainder of their lives as well known and highly honored citizens of this county. They had no children of their own but gave to their adopted son, the subject of this memoir, the true love and solicitude of actual parentage. Peter B. Green was afforded the advantages of the public schools and virtually his entire active career was marked by close and successful association with the basic industries of agriculture and stock-growing, through the medium of which he gained substantial and enduring independence and prosperity, the concrete evidence thereof being given in the finely improved landed estate still owned by his widow. He purchased the homestead now occupied by Mrs. Green shortly after their marriage, and here he continued his well-ordered activities until death set its seal upon him. On the 12th of October, 1872, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Green to Miss Lydia E. Sherman, who was born and reared in this county, and who is a daughter of Joseph and Jane (Moon) Sherman, of whose ten children six are now living. The parents were born and reared in the state of New York and were numbered among the pioneers of Clayton County, Iowa, where they established their home on a farm and where they passed the residue of their long and useful lives, their names meriting enduring place on the roll of the honored pioneers of Clayton County. Mr. and Mrs. Green became the parents of three children, all of whom survive the honored father: William is now a resident of the state of Wisconsin; Walter has a farm in Sperry township near the city Volga, and Valeria is the wife of Otto Germar, of whom individual mention is made elsewhere in this publication.