Category Archives: Newspaper Articles

Hon. Phil B. and Martha Thompson Celebrate Golden Wedding

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Wednesday, November 2, 1892

A Golden Wedding

Hon. And Mrs. Phil B. Thompson, of Harrodsburg, To Celebrate Theirs Tonight

They Were Wedded Fifty Years Ago At the Home of the Bride, On Her Father’s Plantation In Mississippi, Near Natchez, On the Bluff.

Harrodsburg, Ky., Nov. 1 – (Special) – The social event of the week in Central Kentucky, and one that is attracting great attention, will be the celebration of the golden wedding of the Hon. and Mrs. Phil B. Thompson, of this place, to occur tomorrow evening between the hours of 7 and 11 at their elegant and handsome residence, on East Lexington Avenue, this date being the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage.

The marriage of Phil B. Thompson and Miss Martha Montgomery was solemnized on the 2nd day of November 1842, at the residence of the bride’s father on his large plantation, near Natchez, Mississippi.  They immediately, after their marriage, came to Harrodsburg, the home of the groom, where fifty years of blissful and happy married life, unruffled by a single incident of domestic infelicity, have been spent.

Mrs. Martha Montgomery Thompson is the daughter of the late Davis Montgomery, of Mississippi, who at the time of his death was one of the wealthiest plantation owners in the south.  She was born in August 1824, and reared near Natchez, Mississippi.  She is a very devout member of the Christian church and has been since 1846.  In the interests of the church, together with the many charitable societies of which she is a member, she has spent a great deal of time, and is known throughout the State among the members of her church and societies as one of the ablest supporters and most liberal contributors.  Being a lady of remarkable vivacity, endowed with brilliant social qualities and possessed of a kind and generous nature, it is needless to say that she has been the gem of happiness in her home for a half century, and has presided over the household of her talented and honored husband with that queenly dignity, cultured taste and devotion for which Kentucky women are so famous.

The Hon. Phil B. Thompson, Sr., was born in Harrodsburg, on January 8, 1821, and is a son of John B. Thompson, the once noted lawyer, now deceased.  He has three brothers and four sisters.  The brothers are Judge James H. Thompson, of Hillsborough, Ohio; J. B. Thompson, who was in 1857 United States Senator from Kentucky, and Charles Thompson, who, with the exception of the first, are deceased.  The sisters are Mrs. M. T. Davis, Harrodsburg, Ky.; Mrs. A. P. Tribble and Mrs. Susan Massie, Columbus, Ohio, and Mrs. Kate Dun, Mechanicsburg, Ohio.

Mr. Thompson was educated at Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in 1838.  In the fall of 1838 he began the study of law under his senior brother, John B. Thompson, and was admitted to the bar in 1840.  He immediately commenced the practice of law, which he continued until October 1846, when he was mustered into service at Louisville, as a volunteer of the Mexican War.  Leaving a young wife and three small children at home, he, with that same unswerving allegiance to duty that has characterized him through life, heeded his country’s call, and marched to battle to save it from invasion by a foreign power.  He was Captain of Company C of Col. McKee’s regiment, and stood within a few feet of Col. Clay when he was shot at the Battle of Buena Vista.  Having serviced in this war with distinction, he was mustered out at New Orleans in July 1847.  He returned to Harrodsburg and again began the practice of his profession.  In 1851 he was elected Commonwealth’s Attorney for his Judicial district, serving until 1856.  In September 1861, he entered the Southern army, was a member of the Provisional Government of 1862, served during the war under the command of Gen. Bragg and Gen. S. B. Buckner, and returned home in 1865, when he again resumed the practice which he has ever since continued, it being conceded at all that he has since that time been the leading attorney of the very able bar at this place.

The name and fame of P. B. Thompson is familiar to every court and lawyer in Kentucky, and to many all through the South.  He has been publicly recognized for a quarter of a century as one of the most brilliant, successful and famous criminal lawyers in the State.  There are but few counties in the State, and none in Central Kentucky, whose courts and juries have not, at some time during his long career of successful practice, listened to and felt the wonderful power of his magnetic oratory.

Of the many cases in which he has been engaged, one was the defense of Tom Buford, charged with the killing of Judge John Elliott, at Frankfort, Ky., the case being tried in Owen County.  Another was the defense of James Arnold, charged with the killing of Robert Little, at Richmond, Ky.  His associate counsel in this case was Hon. Dan Voorhees, Hon. W. O. Bradley, Hon. Curtis Burnam and Hon. James B. McCreary.

Mr. Thompson served in the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1885-1886, was the Chairman of the Criminal Law Committee, and is the author of the bill permitting the defendant to testify in criminal cases.  He has never sought political distinction and has an aversion for politics.  He is a Democrat, and with his remarkable intellect, magnetic bearing, genial sociability and indomitable courage, had he preferred to enter the political arena, rather than enjoy the quiet, peaceful and successful practice of law, there is no doubt but that he would have attained high honors.

Three bright boys, now in the prime of manhood, blessed the union of this venerable couple.  The are Dr. Davis Thompson, of Chicago; Hon. John B. Thompson, Jr., of this place, one of the most noted lawyers in Kentucky, and proprietor of the Old Fort Springs Distillery here; and Hon. Phil B. Thompson, Jr., ex-member of Congress of this district and now practicing law in New York, of whom it is said by people able to judge that few brighter intellects ever graced the halls of Congress or the United States bar.

Mr. and Mrs. P. B. Thompson have three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Prominent among the people from a distance who are invited and expected to attend the wedding are:  Hon. Dan Voorhees, Hon. J. C. S. Blackburn and wife, Hon. R. P. Jacobs and wife, Hon. Joseph Lewis, Hon. W. L. Jackson, Jr., and wife, Hon. P. W. Hardin and wife, ex-Gov. S. B. Buckner and wife, Hon. John S. Branaugh and wife, Hon. Chas. Pierce, Hon. M. J. Durham and wife, Hon. J. C. Wickliffe and wife, Hon. J. J. McAfee and wife, Rev. W. P. Harvey and wife, Hon. E. J. Polk and wife, Hon. Richard Wintersmith and Hon. W. L. Davis.

There are about three hundred invitations issued and an elaborate supper will be served.  President John Williams, of Daughters’ College, Harrodsburg, will deliver the address of the evening, and while it is being delivered Mr. and Mrs. Thompson will stand under an arch constructed of holly and mistletoe, suspended from which will be cotton stalks with the bowls in bloom, and a hand of tobacco, the cotton being emblematic of the industrial product of the bride’s native state, the tobacco that of the groom’s.  Hon. Phil B. Thompson will hold in his arms their beautiful great-grandbaby, of whom they are so fond.  An old colored servant will stand at the rear of the parlor, he being the only living witness to their wedding of 1842.

Monument to Col. John Hardin

Monument to Col. John Hardin, erected by his son Mark Hardin.  Grove Hill Cemetery, Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky.

Col. John Hardin was everything mentioned in the following article – pioneer, soldier, patriot and Christian.  He owned land in what was originally Nelson County, Kentucky, but in 1792 became Washington County.  His will and further information was in a former blog.

The Louisville Daily Courier, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Thursday, November 20, 1856

Monument to Col. John Hardin

Mr. Edgar Needham, marble cutter of this city, has executed for Mark Hardin, Esq., a marble monument 20 feet high and of very fine finish, which is to be erected in the new cemetery at Shelbyville, in this state, to perpetuate the memory of that notable and patriotic pioneer Col. John Hardin, of Shelby.

Col. John Hardin, born October 1, 1755, killed Mary 1792, whilst bearing his country’s flag of peace to the Indians N.W. of the Ohio.

Col. Hardin was one of the most distinguished of that noble band of pioneers who drove back the aborigines from the forests of Kentucky, and founded the glorious institutions of this Commonwealth.  He richly deserves to have his memory perpetuated in marble.


The monument of Col. Hardin is a Doric Pedestal with its capitol surmounted with a blocking course, on which is raised in Alto Relievo, four original and characteristic emblems representing the Pioneer, the Soldier, the Patriot and the Christian.  Upon the blocking course is a column with a capitol of palm leaves, upon which is perched the glorious American eagle.  On the front of the monument is the following inscription:  ‘Col. John Hardin, born 1755; killed May 1792, whilst bearing his country’s flag of peace to the Indians N.W. of the Ohio.’


This is unquestionably one of the finest private monuments ever built in Kentucky, and the representation of the ‘old Kentucky Rifle’ with its old-fashioned flint lock has been universally admired by all who have seen the work.  We understand that the blocks containing the emblems can be seen today and tomorrow at the establishment of Mr. Needham, on Jefferson Street, previous to their being boxed up for shipment.


We are happy to add that in this instance the designing and the execution of the work has been confided to our own citizens.


If this policy were more generally adopted by our men of means, we should hear far less about the low state of the mechanic arts in Kentucky.  What our mechanics and artisans need is a fair chance for the work which legitimately belongs here.  This they ought to have and this they must have, if Louisville is to make any progress in manufacturing and mechanical industry.

Jane, wife of Col. John Hardin, died May 31, 1823, the mother of Sarah McHenry, Martin D. Hardin, Mark Hardin, Davies Hardin, Mary Estill, Lydia Ann and Rosanna Field.


Ben Hardin – Famous Lawyer of Bardstown

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Tuesday Morning, December 18, 1900


Former Residence of Old Ben Hardin

In Suburbs of Bardstown

The Place Where The Famous Lawyer Lived and Died

[Bardstown Record]

One of Kentucky’s historic residences is ‘Edgewood,’ the former home of Ben Hardin, in his day one of Kentucky’s greatest lawyers.  This old homestead is situated in the suburbs of Bardstown, and is a large and irregular structure built entirely of brick.  It was originally a one-storied building, with two rooms in front.  To this an addition was made on the left, comprising a wide hall and front room and chambers in rear with similar apartments above.  These added rooms and the hall are unusually large and airy.  The hall is entered by a large door in front, and contains a massive old-fashioned staircase, connecting with the upper story.  The present occupant, Hon. Lud. McKay, has added a handsome veranda to the house, which greatly improves its general appearance.

This dwelling was erected between 1819-1822 by Mr. Hardin on land that was contained in the original pre-emption of Bardstown.  The tract contains about two hundred and fifty acres of as fine soil as there is in Nelson County.  A wide lawn in front of the residence stretches down to one of the streets of the town, and is liberally shaded with a fine growth of forest trees.

Ben Hardin, who erected and long occupied the residence, was born in Pennsylvania, February 29, 1784, and at the age of four years was brought to Kentucky by his parents, who settled in Nelson County.  At an early age he was placed in the school of Dr. Priestly, then the most able educator in the West.  At the age of twenty, young Hardin began the study of law, which he soon mastered and was admitted to the bar of Bardstown.  His first case was one in which a large tract of land was involved.  He was alone on his side and opposed by several of the most distinguished lawyers of the day.  However, he won his case and his fame was made, and from that time on he never lacked for clients.  Readers of the Standard are familiar with the history of Mr. Hardin; his public services; his numerous debates in Congress with Henry Clay; how he was dubbed the ‘Kitchen Knife’ by John Randolph, and the ‘Red Fox’ by some other equally as great man.  Suffice it to say that he was one of the shrewdest and most successful attorneys that ever practiced his profession within the domains of this old Commonwealth.

In early life Mr. Hardin was married to Elizabeth Barbour, daughter of Col. Ambrose Barbour, of Washington County, one of Kentucky’s most distinguished pioneers.  She is described as a handsome woman, with many admirable traits of character.  Seven children were the result of this union – three sons and four daughters.

The latter were Lucinda, who married John Helm, afterward Governor of Kentucky; Emily, who married Dr. Palmer, a prominent physician of Washington County; Kate, who married Thomas Riley, a prominent attorney of Bardstown, and Sallie, who married Thomas W. Dixon, a Kentuckian living in the West.  Of the sons, William died of a fever in childhood; James and Rowan married in early life – the former a Miss Chinn; the latter a Miss Cartmell.  James died a short time after his marriage.  Rowan became an able lawyer; served in the State Legislature, and in 1851 was appointed by President Fillmore Secretary of Legation to Guatemala.  During the year it is supposed he was assassinated in the mountains of the Isthmus of Darien, as a skeleton was discovered and identified as his by some papers that were found in the vicinity.

Old Ben Hardin’s home life was always a happy one.  His doors were always open, and he dispensed the most lavish hospitality to all who came beneath his roof.  Many distinguished men were entertained by him at his residence, among whom may be mentioned Gen. William Preston, ex-Senator Garland, Bishop Kavanaugh, Judge John Rowan, gov. William Duvall, and many others who afterward became men of national reputation.  Mr. Hardin’s death occurred in September 1852, and was the result of a fall from a horse which he received as he was journeying from Bardstown to Lebanon to attend court.  He was buried in an old grave yard in a field near the pike leading from Springfield to Lebanon, by the side of his mother.  His grave is marked by an unpretentious stone bearing the simple inscription: ‘Ben Hardin, of Bardstown.’  Mrs. Hardin had preceded her husband to the grave in August, her death being hastened by constant attendance upon Mr. Hardin.  She is buried in the old pioneer cemetery here, in the midst of children and relatives.  A marble shaft, that has been sadly disfigured by vandals, marks her last resting place.  The only inscription is bears is ‘Elizabeth Barbour Hardin, wife of Ben Hardin.’

Ritchey and I have visited the Pioneer Cemetery in Bardstown, but we did not see a stone for Elizabeth Barbour Hardin.

Before The War

This was a newspaper column published in The Springfield Sun in 1926.

Before The War was a newspaper column devoted to gleanings from the lives of citizens of Springfield and Washington County before the War Between the States.

Editor’s Note:  This column will appear as a weekly Sun feature.  Our readers are invited to send copies of old letters, newspaper clippings, or data of historical nature for publication.  The only requirement is that all material sent must apply to events in the lives of citizens of Springfield or Washington County previous to the War Between the States, which began in 1861.

Pottsville Ahoy!

The following advertisement appeared in the Lebanon (KY) Post.  Issue of March 22, 1854:  Notice – The undersigned will at the May term of the Washington County Court move said Court to establish a town on the land where Pottsville is now situated, in Washington County, as shown by a survey and plat now filed in the County Clerk’s office of Washington County, and shall ask the appointment of Trustees, etc.  The boundary of the town will be seen by reference to plat.  This 20th day of February 1854 – William Burns, Johnson Stumph, Samuel Burns, William Spraggins, William Thurman, Henry Pope, Spence & Hord, J. W. Pope, James Burns, R. Jones, George Campbell, M. Martin, William Worshaw.

Time Have Speeded [sic] Up

In 1854 it took two days to get a letter from Springfield to Louisville, and three days from Lebanon to Louisville.  Starting a letter from Lebanon on Monday 12 12 o’clock, it would reach Springfield at 2, where it remained until the next day until 3, at which hour it would move on to Bardstown, and arrive there at 6.  At 10 p.m. it would leave there and arrive in Louisville at 6 o’clock on Wednesday morning.  This schedule, of course, depended upon good time and no delays.

Fire At James Clements

The farm house of James Clements, situated two miles from Springfield, was burned to the ground Sunday morning, April 9, 1854.  The family were absent at church, and when they returned in the evening, they found their dwelling house a heap of smoldering ruin.  It was believed that a hired servant, who had been left in charge, set it on fire.  This was, truly, an unfortunate circumstance as Mr. Clements, a few months before, had let to the altar a fair bride.

Small Child Burned

A small child of Mr. C. Cunningham, of Springfield, got badly scalded on Monday, April 17, 1854, by the overturning of a kettle of boiling water in its lap.  Instant medical care was given the little tot and it was soon out of danger.

Cholera In Springfield

This dread disease raged in Springfield in 1854, and there were ten or more deaths reported by the middle of June.  Citizens were frantic, and many deserted the place.  Warnings to be careful of their diet were issued to the town’s residents.  Cherries and other unhealthy fruit, as well as unripe vegetables, were to be shunned as one would poison.


At his residence in Washington County on Tuesday, the 15th of August 1854, Mr. J. T. Hamilton, after a long and painful illness.  He was a member of the Catholic Church.

Heavy Rain

There was a very heavy rain in the neighborhood of Springfield on Tuesday evening, September 19, 1854.  Old timers could not remember when the community had before been visited by such a veritable cloud burst.  The creeks and branches ran in torrents, even sweeping away fences in places.

Prominent Lawyer Dies

George C. Thurman, Esq., departed this life at 9 o’clock Saturday, September 30, 1854, at his home in Springfield.  He was an excellent lawyer, and a clever, warm-hearted gentleman.  He was attacked by an immense carbuncle between his shoulders, but a week or so before he died, which defied all the acknowledged medical skill which was called to his beside.

Taken from Pioneer History of Washington County, Kentucky, Cook.

Archibald Woods, Sr. – Revolutionary War Veteran

The Richmond Climax, Madison County, Kentucky

Wednesday, January 3, 1900

Historic Ancestor

Archibald Woods, Sr., of Madison County, Kentucky

Archibald Woods, known in after life as “Senior,” to distinguish him from a son of that name, who was a prominent lawyer of Madison County, Kentucky, was the fourth son of Col. William Woods, of Virginia, and Susannah Wallace his wife.  He was born in what is now Albemarle County, Virginia, on the 27th of January 1749, and was married on the 5th of August 1773, to Miss Mourning Shelton, a daughter of William Shelton and Lucy Harris – Lucy Harris being the daughter of Major Robert Harris and Mourning Glenn; and Robert Harris, the son of William Harris and Temperance Overton.  William Harris was the only son of Robert Harris, an immigrant from Wales in 1651, who married a widow Rice (nee Claiborne).  Temperance Overton was the daughter of William Overton and Mary Waters, and William Overton was the son of Col. Overton, who commanded a brigade of Ironsides at Dunbar, under Cromwell.

In 1774, Archibald Woods, Sr., moved to Monroe County, Virginia, being then a resident of Montgomery County, Virginia.  He entered the military service of the United States, as Captain of Virginia militia and at once set out from what is now Monroe County, Virginia, under Col. Russell, on a march of 200 miles to the relief of Fort Watauga.  This expedition lasted about six weeks and the return march was hastened by an express bringing the intelligence that the Shawnee Indians had commenced hostilities.  On reaching home he found the people forted, and he was placed in command of the fort and local defenses until spring.  After this, except during intervals of inclement winter weather, he was almost constantly employed in the frontier defenses – first under Col. Samuel Lewis, then under Col. Andrew Donnelly, and lastly under Col. James Henderson, until after the surrender of Cornwallis in 1781.  He then surrendered his commission as Captain of Virginia militia to the Greenbriar County Court, and never saw it afterward.

He first came to Kentucky in December 1781.  He returned to Virginia in February 1782, and removed with his family to Estill Station, Madison County, Kentucky, in the fall of that year.  The next year, 1783, he made his first Kentucky crop on Pumpkin Run where he had contracted with Col. Estill for 400 acres of land, including a spring represented to be everlasting, but, the spring going dry that year, the contract with Col. Estill was cancelled, and in January 1784 he bought land on Dreaming Creek, a few miles north of the present site of Richmond, where he built Woods’ Fort and lived between 25 and 26 years.  The first land he bought in Madison County is described by him in a deposition as “1,000 acres of as good land as any in the Estill Station survey,” and the price paid for it was a rifle gun.

The original commission of Patrick Henry, Governor of Virginia, appointed him with nine others, “Gentlemen Justices of the Peace” for Madison County, Kentucky, to take effect August 1, 1785 – the natal day of that county – is still preserved in the possession of Judge William Chenault, of Richmond, Kentucky.  The same document also appoints the same persons “Gentlemen Commissioners of Oyer and Terminer,” with full jurisdiction to try and punish slaves for all penal and criminal offenses – including the infliction of capital punishment.

He was still a magistrate in 1798 and as such voted for the removal of the county seat from the Old Town, or Millford, and presided at the court that established and named the town of Richmond, making it the county seat and became one of its first Trustees.  He was appointed sheriff of Madison County, May 4, 1801.

After a long litigation and possession of a quarter of a century, he was finally evicted of his home and land on Dreaming Creek in a suit brought by one Patrick, and being disgusted with the land-laws of Kentucky that in the afternoon of his life, took from him his home and the bulk of his estate, on a mere technicality, he moved with his family in the fall of 1809 to Williamson County, on Beans Creek, middle Tennessee.  In that state his wife, Mourning Woods, died September 7, 1817, aged 61 years and 8 months.  On January 30, 1818, he married Dorcas Henderson and lived for a time in Franklin County, Tennessee.  This marriage proved a very unhappy one, and a separation having occurred, he returned to Madison County, Kentucky, in 1820.  In January 1833, being then a feeble old man of 84 years, and well-nigh stripped of his property, he filed an application at Washington for a pension for military service in the war of Independence, and was promptly granted a pension of $480 per annum, to date from March 4, 1831.  But for the affidavits of himself and witnesses then living, in this application, and the pension, no documentary proof could now be had of his military service except the Virginia military land warrant.  He died December 13, 1836, aged 87 years, 10 months and 17 days, at the residence of his son, Archibald Woods, Jr., Fort Estill, Madison County, Kentucky.  Archibald Woods, Sr., was a fine specimen of the old Virginia gentleman.  He maintained his carriages, horses and driver up to his death.  He was a man of marked intelligence, great personal pride and dignity.  The hospitality of his home was proverbial and his life public and private, was pitched on the highest ideals of manhood and patriotism.

Archibald Woods, born January 29, 1749, died December 17, 1836.  Richmond Cemetery, Madison County, Kentucky.

1894 Weddings, Parties and Luncheons

I always enjoy reading the announcements in old newspapers of weddings, dinner parties and other affairs.  It is a moment, frozen in time, for us to enjoy. 

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Thursday, January 4, 1894

Society News

The brilliant nuptials of Mr. B. F. Watkins, of New York, and Miss Shirley Chenault, of this city, took place last evening at 9 o’clock at the College Street Presbyterian Church.  Long before the hour a large crowd of friends had assembled, and when the doors were opened they soon filled every available space in the pretty church.  The decorations were most tasteful.  Potted plants of waxy magnolias and palms formed the background for the banks of annunciation lilies.  The bride was loveliness itself, and her brunette beauty was never more pronounced than it was when she appeared last evening in her bridal gown of ivory satin, which was cut low in the neck, around which was a bertha point of lace.  A bridal veil was held on her brow with a tiara of diamonds.  The bridal bouquet was of orange blossoms and white roses, covered with white tulle, and entwined with a bowknot made from a white lace handkerchief, according to the latest Parisian idea.  The maid of honor, Miss Milbrey Watterson, wore a pink silk gown, and made a contrast to the other attendants, who entered in twos and were uniformly gowned in white moire, around the full sleeves, rounded corsage and revers of which was a trimming of otter.  They carried shower bouquets of Catherine Mermet roses.

The groom and his best man, Mr. Robert Harrison, of New York, met the bridal procession at the altar, and formed the central figures of the semi-circle composed of the bridesmaids and the ushers.  These were Misses Laura Brand, Abbie Goodloe, Maud Yandell, Florence Beckley, May Brockenbrough, Annie Chenault, of Richmond; Mary Chenault, of Lexington; and Messrs. John Snedecor, Preston Carson, of New York; Roger Ballard Thurston, Raphael Semmes Colston, Burton Vance, Ben Leight, Edwin Whitney and Spencer Graves, of St. Louis.  The flower girls were Nellie Chenault, Hattie Montgomery, Ethel Chenault and Maud Montgomery, all beautifully dressed.

As the wedding part moved down the aisle, Mrs. Maggie Ward Bell, the organist, played the march from “Lohengrin” and “Traumerei” during the ceremony, which was performed by the Rev. Dr. Hamilton, of the Warren Memorial Church, assisted by the Rev. Mr. Herbener, the pastor of the College Street Presbyterian Church.  At the conclusion of the ceremony the opening march from Wagner’s “Tannhauser” was played for the retrocessional.

After the ceremony a reception followed at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jason W. Chenault, of 908 Second Street, at which only the bridal party, the relatives and a few intimate friends were present.  The decorations at home were not elaborate, but were of the same kind as those at the church, in the parlors the mantels and mirrors being banked in palms and annunciation lilies.  The bridal supper was served from small tables about a large center one, where the wedding party was seated.  It was covered with a white silk cloth, and had in its center a mound of lilies surrounded by ferns.

At midnight Mr. and Mrs. Watkins left for their future home in New York City, where they have taken a residence on West Seventy-Third Street.

Among the guests from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Nash and Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Aldrich, of New York, who came here especially to attend the wedding.


The wedding of Dr. W. Ewell and Miss Ella Belle Perry, of Taylorsville, took place Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, at the residence of the bride’s mother, Mrs. L. G. Perry.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Dr. W. W. Gardner, of Taylorsville.  The groom was formerly a resident of Louisville, where he has a large number of friends.  Miss Annie Moore, of Shelbyville, and Mr. Clarence Money, of Finchville, accompanied the bridal pair to this city.  Dr. and Mrs. Ewell are on their way to New York, where the groom expects to take a post-graduate course in surgery at the Polyclinic Hospital.


Mrs. Paul Cain, of St. James Court, was the hostess of the L.D.W. Euchre Club last evening.  The following were among those present:  Will Lyons, Kenneth McDonald, A. Leight Monroe, Donald McDonald, J. C. Burnett, John Hughes, Harry McDonald, George Avery, Henry S. Tyler, Miss Atmore.


Miss Selena Barrett, of 1212 West Broadway, gave a luncheon of twelve covers in honor of Mrs. Frederick Butler, of Detroit, yesterday morning.  The decorations in white filled in with the popular stevia flowers.


Miss Mary Swearingen leaves next week to attend the wedding of Mr. Lawrence A. Young and Miss Mabel Wheeler.  While she is in Chicago she will be the guest of Miss Katherine Baker.


A large party will leave next Wednesday for Chicago with Mr. Bennett H. Young in a private car to be present at the Young-Wheeler wedding, which takes place in that city at noon on Thursday.  In the party will be Mrs. Allison, Mrs. J. G. Cecil, Miss Mary Swearingen, Mrs. Burwell K. Marshall, Dr. Stuart Young and a number of others.


Yesterday a marriage license was issued to P. Bronger and Annie B. Lampton.


Miss Virginia Matthews gave a dance last night at her home to a number of her school friends.


Mrs. George F. Downs, who has been quite ill of la grippe, is now considerably improved and expects to be out in a few days.


Miss Julia Penn, of New Albany, who has been spending a few days with Mrs. J. Moss Terry, returned home yesterday.  Miss Penn will be one of a large theater party to hear Patti at the auditorium tomorrow evening.

Miss Mary Cobb Stofer and Mr. Harrison Bowman Ringo Wed October 30, 1912

It’s always interesting to read about weddings, funerals or other items of interest in the old newspapers.  I don’t believe this lengthy description of a wedding would be allowed today – but think of the information it holds for us!

The Mt. Sterling Advocate, Montgomery County, Kentucky

Wednesday, November 6, 1912

The wedding of Miss Mary Cobb Stofer and Mr. Harrison Bowman Ringo was solemnized at the Stofer home on North Sycamore Street at 7:30 o’clock on Wednesday evening, October thirtieth; only near relatives and intimate friends witnessing the ceremony.  Rev. A. H. Hibshma, of the Presbyterian Church, officiated and the ceremony was most beautiful and impressive.  The wedding colors were green and white and were carried out with exquisite taste in the lovely home.  The decorations were most elaborate, palms, Southern smilax and chrysanthemums being used in profusion.  In the parlor the scene was solemn as well as beautiful.  Between the windows was an altar of palms and Southern smilax and chrysanthemums lighted with stately cathedral candles, before which the bridal party stood.  To the beautiful strains of Lohengrain by Grella the party entered promptly at the appointed hour and proceeded down the long hall to the parlor in the following order:  Miss Rebecca Kendall in light green embroidered chiffon over green charmeuse; Miss Jane Darnall, of Flemingsburg, in white marquisette over satin; Mrs. John Stofer, in flowered chiffon over green charmeuse, each carrying white chrysanthemums, and little Miss Agnes Stofer bearing the ring in a dainty basket of flowers.  The bride followed on the arm of her brother, Mr. Jackson D. Stofer, while the groom, with his best man, Mr. Henry M. Ringo, entered from the dining room and met the party before the altar, where the ceremony was said.  The bride was gowned in an imported robe of chiffon embroidered in Rhinestones and crystal over satin.  The veil, which was unusually becoming, was caught under a coronet of lace and orange blossoms.  She carried a shower bouquet of bride’s roses and lilies of the valley.  Immediately following the wedding ceremony, a reception was held which was attended by four hundred guests.  Besides the wedding party, in the receiving line, were Mr. and Mrs. Silas Stofer, Mrs. John A. Judy, Mrs. Dan Priest of Fort Worth, Texas, and Mrs. Walter Meng, of North Middletown.  The dining room was most attractive in its wedding decorations, the table being in green and white with a lace centerpiece upon which rested a gilt basket filled with gorgeous chrysanthemums and surmounted with a tulle bow.  The individual ices of chrysanthemums and the cakes and mints ornamented with orange blossoms were delightful and unique.  Many friends assisted in the entertaining.  In the parlor were Mrs. Adair, of Lexington, and Mrs. Mary T. D. Kendall.  In the hall were Mrs. B. F. Thomson, Misses Charlotte Roberts, Ella Priest, Mrs. John Roberts and Mrs. Tipton Young.  In the dining room were Mrs. Grover C. Anderson, Mrs. Percy Bryan and Miss Sue Woods, of Stanford.  At a table in the music room was a register and all guests were invited to register.  In this room were Mrs. A. H. Hibshman, Mrs. John S. Frazer and Miss Nell How, of Cincinnati.  Serving coffee in the living room were Misses Paulina Judy, Stella Robinson, Lodema Wood, Louise Lloyd, Mary Kemper Darnall, Emily Lloyd, Allee Young and Jean Kendall, Mrs. J. A. Vansant and Mrs. Howard VanAntwerp.  In the upper hall were Mrs. W. A. Sutton, Mrs. Fred Bassett, Mrs. Abner Oldham and Mrs. Charles K. Oldham.  After the reception Mr. and Mrs. Ringo left in an automobile for Lexington, from whence they started on their wedding journey.