Tag Archives: Lewis Cemetery

John Joseph House Biography

Hancock County, Kentucky, is where many of the Lewis, House and Greathouse family members settled when they moved from Virginia to Kentucky in the late 18th century.  Last fall Ritchey found this cemetery, our second try.  Those buried here are members of my 5th great-aunt, Catherine Jennings Linton, sister of my Captain John Linton, who married William Joseph Lewis May 15, 1766.  Several of her children carried the middle name Linton.  Catherine’s nephew, John Lewis, was the earliest pioneer to Hancock County. 

Kentucky – A History of the State, Perrin, Battle & Kniffin, 1885

Hancock County

John Joseph House was born in Hancock County, December 20, 1831, and is the son of Benoni and Hannah A. (Lewis) House, natives of Maryland and Kentucky, respectively. William House, grandfather of our subject, was a native of Maryland, which state he left in an early day, immigrating to Hancock County, and settling on the Ohio River, a short distance below the village of Troy. He was a farmer by occupation and died a number of years ago.  The Lewis’s were from Virginia, subject’s grandfather being among the first permanent residents of that part of Hancock County, which still bears his name.  He was a prominent and extensive land owner, having purchased from the government large tracts of land in various parts of the county.

Benoni House, born June 2, 1806, died January 10, 1849.  Lewis Cemetery, Hancock County, Kentucky.

Benoni House was born in 1808 and died in 1849.  The mother of subject was born in 1811 and died July 31, 1881.  The family of Benoni House and Hannah House consisted of eight children, only two of whom are now living:  Hannah A., wife of William Moredock, and John J., subject of this sketch.

Hannah A., wife of F. D. Lewis, born March 31, 1811, died July 30, 1881.  Lewis Cemetery.

Francis D. Lewis, born September 11, 1807, died March 29, 1875.  Lewis Cemetery.

By second marriage, with Dr. F. Lewis, the mother had three children, only one of whom is now living.

John J. House was reared on a farm in Hancock County, two miles from the village of Lewisport, where he remained until his twentieth year.  He received a liberal education in the schools of the county and commenced life for himself as a salesman in the drug house of Raymond & Patten, Louisville, with whom he remained a short time.  He subsequently engaged as a salesman on a store-boat which plied on the Ohio River, selling books, stationery and fancy goods, remaining the greater part of one year.

Nannie, wife of J. J. House, born August 16, 1831, died May 28, 1893.  Greathouse Cemetery, Hancock County, Kentucky.

After severing his connection with the enterprise, he took service as clerk with W. P. Haywood, of Lewisport, in the general mercantile business, where he remained for several years, dealing in live stock on his own responsibility in the meantime.  In 1857 he engaged in farming on a place he had previously purchased in Yellow Creek Precinct, and on May 25 of the following year he was united in marriage with Mrs. Nancy Simpson, daughter of Nathan and Nancy Hukill, of Maysville, Kentucky.  In 1861 he purchased his present farm of 198 acres, on which he has since been living.  He owns 300 acres of choice land, and in addition to farming and stock raising is largely engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber and brick.

J. J. House, born December 20, 1831, died August 25, 1901.  Greathouse Cemetery.

Mr. House is connected with the I.O.O.F., K. of H. and Masonic order, and is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he has belonged since 1845.  Mr. and Mrs. House have a family of eight children, whose names are as follows:  Fannie M. (Simpson), Benoni, Ida B., Anna S., Suzy B., Allie T., David N. and John William.

William W., son of Benoni & Hannah House, born July 4, 1836, died June 27, 1857.  Lewis Cemetery.

Thomas L. House, born December 12, 1833, died April 12, 1877.  Annie E., wife of Thomas L. House, born September 24, 1845, died March 22, 1901.  Lewis Cemetery.

Children of Benoni House and Hannah Ann Lewis – John Joseph, Thomas Lewis, William Wesley, Susan Frances, Hannah Amanda, Catherine Elizabeth and Elizabeth Jane House.

Children of Dr. Francis Dunnington Lewis and Hannah Ann Lewis – Caroline and Sarah Frances Lewis.

Lewis Cemetery, Hancock County, Kentucky.

Greathouse Cemetery, Hancock County, Kentucky.  Ritchey taking photos in the rain.  The two cemeteries are one and a half miles apart – as the crow files.

‘Uncle Billy’ Moredock Summoned

One feat accomplished on our western Kentucky trip – we found the Lewis Cemetery in Hancock County!  We tried to find it in June, with no success.  But with the help of Google Earth and a page from Glenn Hodges book, Daybreak On Old Fortification Creek, we pinpointed the location!  This was another cemetery back a gravel road, onto farmland.  It is a small cemetery, just for family, about 35 people are thought to be buried here.

William Moredock married Hannah Amanda House, granddaughter of the John Lewis and Elizabeth Brown that moved from Loudoun County, Virginia, to what was then Breckinridge County, Kentucky (later Hancock County).  John Lewis was a brother to William Joseph Lewis, who married Captain John Linton’s sister, Catherine Jennings Lewis.  Joseph and Catherine Linton Lewis’ son, William Linton Lewis, also moved to Hancock County, and is buried in this cemetery.

The Breckinridge News, Breckinridge County, Kentucky

Wednesday, May 20, 1908

“Uncle Billy” Moredock Summoned

Genial Man And Aged citizen Dies At Hardinsburg – Respected And Loved By Young And Old

Once Lived In Hancock

Hardinsburg, Ky., May 18 – (Special) –

After an illness of several weeks, William T. Moredock, one of our aged and most highly respected citizens quietly breathed his last at two o’clock Wednesday morning, May 13.

Mr. Moredock was born near Hardinsburg, March 5, 1834.  After learning the trade of cabinet maker with the Hon. G. W. Beard and Judge Eskridge, he moved to Hancock County, where his life was spent, with the exception of the last two years here with his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Evans, at the Commercial Hotel.

A part of the time he was a farmer in Hancock County, the other part found him in business at Lewisport.

In 1856 he was married to Miss Hannah A. House, of Hancock County, and for fifty years they lived happily together, a happiness broken only by his death.  Besides his wife he is survived by these children:  James William, of Macon, Georgia; Samuel H., of Tampa, Florida; B. H. Moredock, of Louisville; and Mrs. Evans, of Hardinsburg.

He was noted for his social, genial disposition.  His home was ever open to his friends and crowds of young people loved to visit there and enjoy the hospitality and sunshine within its walls and nothing pleased him more than to know that he was adding to the pleasures of others.

He was a Methodist, a Christian gentleman, a man whose citizenship enriched the neighborhood in which he lived.

The remains were laid to rest at Lewisport on Thursday.

Mrs. Moredock goes to Louisville where she will remain for some time with her son.

William T. Moredock, March 5, 1834 – May 13, 1908.  Hannah A. Moredock, February 24, 1840 – October 21, 1909.  Lewis Cemetery, Hancock County, Kentucky.