Tag Archives: Mary Wood

Bartholomew Wood – Town Founder, Frontiersman, Farmer, Tavern Keeper – Christian County

Bartholomew Wood, Town Founder, Frontiersman, Farmer, Tavern Keeper.  First Settler 1796.  Founder of Christian Court House 1797.  Later Town of Elizabeth 1799.  Later Town of Hopkinsville 1804.  Died at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, November 26, 1827.  Pioneer Cemetery, Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky.

Bartholomew Wood, the first settler at Hopkinsville in Christian County, was a traveling man.  He was originally from North Carolina, fought in the Revolutionary War with Col. Robertson’s Regiment from South Carolina.  He and his wife, Martha, were married in what became the state of Tennessee, and towards the end of his life moved to Kentucky – then back to Tennessee and back to Kentucky.  He was buried in what became Pioneer Cemetery in the city of Hopkinsville.  His will, written and proved in Warren County, Tennessee, will be posted at a later date.

County of Christian, Kentucky.  Historical and Biographical, edited by William Henry Perrin, 1884

Bartholomew Wood

The first settler upon the site of Hopkinsville was Bartholomew Wood, more familiarly known among his friends and acquaintances as ‘Bat Wood’.  Just when he came to Christian County no one knows; why he came, perhaps he did not know himself, with no definite point in view, he was so favorably impressed with the abundance of game in this locality, that he stopped and built himself a cabin.  He figured conspicuously in the early history of Hopkinsville and of Christian County, and at one time owned a vast amount of land around the embryo city.  He was a man of strong, practical common sense, but rather deficient in book learning; a rough diamond and marvelously adapted to the period in which he lived.  In his buckskin hunting shirt and leather breeches, he hunted and trapped a great deal, and enjoyed himself as only a hunter could.  He belonged to that sturdy class of pioneers whose iron frames had been hardened by exposure, whose muscles were toughened by exercise and toil, and whose bodies seemed invulnerable to disease and pain.  The wilderness, with its wild beasts and savages, was their element.  They sported with danger, and if need be met death with fortitude and composure.   To such men, Kentucky in a measure owes her present glory and greatness.  Bartholomew Wood was originally from North Carolina and emigrated to Tennessee soon after the Revolutionary War.  Some years later and prior to the close of the last century he came to Kentucky, but in what year is not known.  He was here when the county was organized and donated five acres of land for public buildings.  He entered a great deal of land in his own name and in the names of his children.  The following is told of his land speculations:  He had entered a body of land in the name of one of his daughters, who afterward married Levi Cornelius.  After he marriage Mr. Wood went to her to transfer the land back to him, but her husband would not allow her to do it.  In spite of all arguments and importunities, Cornelius held to the land, and finally sold it to Young Ewing.

Children of Bartholomew and Martha An Wood – Elizabeth Wood Douglas, Mary (Polly) Wood Gist, Sarah (Sally) Wood Cornelius, Temperance (Tempy) Wood Roberts, Patsy Wood Millholland, Bartholomew T. Wood, Carter T. Wood, Curtis Davenport Wood, William J. Wood, Letitia Charlotte Wood, Hardin J. Wood.

Mr. Wood had a family of several sons and daughters.  The names of his sons were Bartholomew, Hardin, Carter, William and Curtis, the latter the only one now living.  He is a man over eighty years of age and is a resident of the county.  One of his daughters married Levi Cornelius, as already stated; another married William Roberts, and one or two were still single when the old man moved back to Tennessee, which he did some years before his death.  Most of his children went with him, except Bartholomew, but after the death of their father they came back here, and many descendants are living in the county today, among whom is the son already mentioned (Curtis), and Dr. Wood of Hopkinsville, a son of Bartholomew, Jr., and a grandson of the old pioneer.

Martha Ann, relict of Bartholomew Wood, born in Virginia, June 27, 1763, married Jonesborough, North Carolina, now Tennessee, July 20, 1780, died at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, November 9, 1846.

The original cabin of Mr. Wood stood near the corner of the present Nashville and Virginia Streets.  Where the latter street now is was then a marsh or lagoon for quite a distance back from the river.  This lagoon was covered with innumerable ducks and wild geese and is said to have been one of the strong arguments which induced Bartholomew Wood to settle here, that he might enjoy the shooting of them, as well as other game to be seen everywhere in the most plentiful profusion.

Bartholomew Wood – Patriot, Pioneer, Frontiersman, Farmer, Tavern Keeper

Anytime one hears the name ‘Pioneer’ cemetery it should be visited!  And the same can be said for the Pioneer Cemetery in Hopkinsville in Christian County.  A small park where many of the original citizens of Christian County are buried, it is nicely maintained and contains lots of history in one small area.  Today I would like to concentrate on Bartholomew and Martha Wood and their family.

This pioneer graveyard was used from 1812 to 1858.  Within this enclosure are buried 185 named persons, and many more unknown, all early settlers of Christian County.  The land for this cemetery was donated in 1812 by Bartholomew Wood, the first settler in Hopkinsvile.  He also donated land and timber for the first public buildings 1797.  He died in 1827 and was buried here.

Bartholomew Wood was the town founder – in 1796, frontiersman, a farmer, a tavern keeper in the town of Hopkinsville.  The Christian County Court House was built in 1797 upon land supplied by Bartholomew and with his lumber.  The town was originally known as Elizabeth in 1799, but was later changed to Hopkinsville in 1804.  Bartholomew Wood died here November 26, 1827.

A soldier in in the South Carolina Militia during the war, Bartholomew Wood was part of Colonel Robertson’s Regiment in 1779.

Martha Ann was the wife of Bartholomew Wood.  She was born in Virginia June 27, 1763, married in Jonesborough, North Carolina (now Tennessee) July 20, 1780, and died at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, November 9, 1846, outliving her husband by almost twenty years.

Children of Bartholomew and Martha Ann Wood were Elizabeth Wood Douglass, Mary (Polly) Wood Gist, Sarah (Sally) Wood Cornelius, Temperance (Tempy) Wood Roberts, Patsy Wood Millholland, Bartholomew T. Wood, Carter T. Wood, Curtis Davenport Wood, William J. Wood, Letitia Charlotte Wood and Hardin J. Wood.

James and Mary Wood Garnett Obituaries

I do love the sentimental, flowery obituaries from the early days of the twentieth century.  You truly feel as if you know the person, their character and their life, after reading of their death.  Perhaps the obituaries of today should be written with more depth and feeling.

img_8487James Garnett, July 8, 1835 – January 25, 1905.  Columbia Cemetery, Adair County, Kentucky,

garnet-picfrom The Adair County News, Columbia, Kentucky

Wednesday, February 1, 1905

At the age of eighteen years, fifty-two years ago, the above distinguished citizen, then an inexperienced young man, left his country home, five miles out, and came to Columbia, to face the responsibilities and fight the battles of an active public career, and the many familiar with the results of his labors and accomplishments known how well he succeeded.  His only capital was honor, honesty and industry backed by a strong mind, unwavering purpose and a good English education.  Thus armed he accepted a position of deputy clerk of the circuit and county courts of this county, under William Caldwell.  Three years later he was elected county school commissioner.  While performing the duties of clerk and school commissioner he burned the midnight oil in preparing himself for the profession of law, and in 1856 was admitted to the bar, and his knowledge of law and general fitness soon pointed him out as a suitable man for county attorney, which position he filled with a marked degree of success.  After the expiration of his term as county attorney he practiced his chosen profession uninterrupted until 1871 when he was chosen to represent this county in the Kentucky legislature for the years ’71, ’72 and ’73, and while in that body he was chosen a member of the committee on judiciary and statutes, a position where only the deepest legal talent is sought.  In 1874 immediately after the expiration of his services in the Legislature, he was elected Circuit Judge, of the Sixth Judicial District, composed of the counties of Adair, Metcalfe, Barren, Cumberland, Clinton, Monroe, Hart, Allen, and retired from that honorable station with the esteem of his constituents and the honor and reputation of an able, impartial jurist.  In 1881 he was elected senator of this, the 16th Senatorial district and was again placed on the committee of judiciary and railroads and later was made the chairman of the judiciary committee.  In this capacity he labored faithfully and effectively and retained that high esteem of his associates as an able lawyer and legislator.  In 1898 Judge Garnett entered the race for the Democratic nomination for Appellate judge of this district.  He lost that prize, that position, which would have more fully demonstrated to the people of this State his thorough comprehension of law and its just application, simply because he would not stoop to low and groveling methods.  That fight was made and lost with honor and dignity while success seemed to be in reach through means and methods of questionable nature.  He spurned every intimation of such a course and stated to his close friends that through honorable and dignified methods he would win or lose.  He kept the faith.  Since that date he has practiced his profession with his only son, James Garnett, Jr., our present county attorney, and enjoyed a large clientage, which was common with him from the beginning of his chosen profession.

As a father and husband the intimacy and devotion between he and his family was particularly noticeable, and on many occasions we have heard commendable praise of this happy state that makes home akin to heaven.  Such manifestations of devotion were more discernible, to the public, in the relationship between his son and himself, who were partners in business.  Not the least sign of friction ever appeared between them, but perfectly agreeable in everything, as companionable as two school boys wrapped in up good will, they went from office to their homes together and from home to office nearly every day.

Judge Garnett was born in Adair County, Kentucky, July 8, 1834, a son of Anthony and Mary A. P. Garnett.  He was married to Miss Mary Wood, near Edmonton, Kentucky, August 2, 1866.  To this union four children were born all of whom are living, together with the widow.  The children are Mrs. E. W. Barnett, of Mississippi, Miss Jennie and Miss Fannie Garnett and James Garnett, Jr., of this city.

In this death, unexpected and sad, our community lost one of its most useful and distinguished fellows – a man of deep convictions, noble endeavors and lasting accomplishments.  The Baptist Church of this town, his love, his pride, its strongest support, Russell’s Creek Association an irreparable loss and the legal profession has parted from one of its ablest and profoundest lawyers.  His wife and children a true and devoted husband and father, while the writer, in common with a large number of good citizens, a true and substantial friend.  This entire community has thoroughly manifested its loss and sympathy with the bereaved family.  Funeral services were held in the Baptist Church Sunday the 29th at 10:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. J. P. Scruggs, assisted by Eld. W. K. Azbill, Rev. W. C. Clemens and Eld. W. B. Wright.

img_8490Mary Wood Garnett, 1840-1908

from The Adair County News, Columbia, Kentucky

Wednesday, May 6, 1908

Mrs. Mary M. Garnett

One of Columbia’s Most Prominent and Highly Respected Ladies Called to Her Reward

Funeral Services Largely Attended

Tuesday night April 28, 1908, at 11:30 the spirit of this estimable lady left its tenement of clay and entered the celestial city prepared for those who walk in the fear and admonition of the Lord.  Death had no sting, as it was known and remarked by those who were intimately associated with her, that she had cared but little for life since the demise of her late husband, Judge James Garnett, though she has been surrounded with the comforts of life, loved fondly by her children, to whom she was perfectly devoted.

Mrs. Garnett was a daughter of Buford and Frances Wood and was born and reared near Edmonton, Kentucky, her father being prominent in the affairs of Barren and Metcalfe counties.  She was educated at Georgetown College, and in 1866 she was happily married to Judge James Garnett and for forty-two years she resided in Columbia.  When the end came she was 67 years and four months old.

Her life was that of a true Christian woman, taking much interest in religious affairs, and especially was she devoted to the Baptist church of which she was a member and had been since she was sixteen years of age.  Her children, her brothers, the Church and this entire community has sustained a great loss, one whose place in the home cannot be filled and whose counsels in church affairs will be sorrowfully missed.

[a portion of this obituary was missing]

The remains were taken to the city cemetery and her body was laid by the side of that of her husband’s.  When the family and friends withdrew from the grave they left the body sleeping under a bed of flowers.

The pure life and high estimate that was placed upon the noble Christian character of the deceased – universal sympathy – is consoling to the four devoted children and the two affectionate brothers.  The children are Mrs. E. W. Barnett, Corbin, Kentucky, Mrs. J. P. Scruggs, Midway, Kentucky, Mr. James Garnett and Miss Jennie Garnett, this place.  The brothers are Mr. W. T. Wood and Dr. B. T. Wood, Danville.

Such a life as Mrs. Garnett led is a priceless heritage to all those who were near to her by the ties of blood, and all who were intimately associated with her.