From Shelby County, Kentucky – Biographies
William M. Hall, a son of Squire and Joanna (Robards) Hall, was born May 31, 1816, in Baltimore, Maryland. His parents were also natives of that city. Squire Hall was a merchant in Baltimore, but after his removal to Kentucky, followed farming. He first located in Henry County, but later moved to Shelby County. William M. was educated at the common schools. He devotes his time to farming, and owns 140 acres of well-improved land in Shelby County. He married July 26, 1839, Mary Corley, only daughter of Richard and Sarah (Bird) Corley. Seven children have been born to their union: Squire, Sarah, Susan, William, Mary, John and Everett. Mr. Hall is a member of the Methodist Church. Politically he is a Democrat.
Squire Hall, farmer, was born in Henry County, Kentucky, December 25, 1823, a son of Squire and Joanna (Robards) Hall. Our subject was married, February 20, 1845, to Lucy Reed, of Shelby County, daughter of William Reed. Six children blessed their union, five of whom are living: Wesley, who married Miss Rucker; John married Miss Dunnivan (they had six children: Clarence, Samuel O., Lizzie, Alonzo, Jannie and Alphus); Alonzo married Miss Beckley; Winnie A. married Mr. Hall (they had three children: Lucy, Pearl and Charles); Ita, better known as Jake, married Mr. Baker and had two children: Fletcher and Daisy E. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are members of the Methodist Church. He has followed farming all his life, and owns 300 acres of land. Mr. Hall has lived through an eventful period, and in his old age has many friends and no enemies.
William H. Hall, a native of Shelby County, Kentucky, was born September 15, 1841, and is a son of the late Colonel Bartlett M. and Ann A. (Offutt) Hall, both born in Scott County in 1800. Colonel Bartlett Hall settled in Shelby County about 1827, was an extensive farmer, an elder in the Presbyterian Church, a director of the Shelbyville Bank, and died August 20, 1870. William H. Hall is well known throughout the country as a breeder of Shorthorn cattle, having commenced in 1868. He has put more money in the business than any other man in Shelby County, having paid as high as $850 for a single female, and $1,050 for a male. Some of the best Shorthorns ever shown in Kentucky have been bred or imported by him. About five years ago he formed a partnership with his neighbor, M. W. B. Dale, and the name of Hall & Dale became at once among the best known in Kentucky, because of the show herds they led into the fair rings in the bluegrass section, and the many premiums they won. They sold in two months, in 1885, forty head of Shorthorns to their countymen, and their sales were quite extensive all over the West. This firm was only recently dissolved, and Mr. Hall became sole proprietor of his Wicklow herd of Mary, Phyllis and other good families, headed by Baron Wily 3d. Mr. Hall has served on the board of the Shelby County A. & M. Association, always giving the earnest attention to the duties that he does to his private business. He is an influential member of the Shelby County Shorthorn Breeders’ Association. In politics he is a Democrat, and in religion a Presbyterian. His farm of 760 acres is pleasantly located, adjoining the western limits of Shelbyville, and is well improved in every way. William H. Hall was married, October 24, 1865, to Miss Margaret A. Payne, daughter of Colonel Edward C. Payne, and Margaret D. Harbison. Colonel Payne, when a young man, came from Fayette County to Shelby County, Kentucky, where he died in 1863, aged seventy years. His mother was a daughter of Colonel John Howard. His grandmother a sister of John Preston, of Virginia. The long and honored line of his ancestry of Revolutionary memory, was identified with the history of Virginia; and his grandfather, Howard, early immigrated to Kentucky as one of its pioneers. Margaret D. Harbison was a daughter of Colonel Samuel Harbison. Mrs. Hall has two sisters, Mrs. Dr. J. W. Dodd, of Nashville, Tennessee, and Mrs. J. S. Harbison, of Kansas City, Missouri. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hall are named as follows: Edward Payne Hall, Curtis Preston Hall, Margaret Payne Hall, William Dodd Hall and Mary Davis Hall.