About six weeks ago I ordered copies of the Revolutionary War records of my 5th great-grandfather, John Linton. He was recommended as Lieutenant in 1778 and Captain in 1781. I share with you today the lists of those soldiers recommended for changes in rank for March of 1778 through October 1779. Hopefully you can use this information!
One other note, several others on this list are very familiar to me. Daniel Lewis is a relative of Captain John, Scarlett Berkeley is his half-brother. Joseph Butler is a cousin of the captain’s wife, Ann Mason, and George Mason her brother.
- James Whaley, Jr. – Second Lieutenant
- William Carnan – Ensign
- Daniel Lewis – Second Lieutenant
- Hugh Douglass – Ensign
- Isaac Vandeventer – Lieutenant
- John Dodd – Ensign
- William McClellan – Captain
- Francis Russell and James Beavers – Lieutenants
- George Summers and Charles Eskridge – Colonels
- Samuel Cox – Major
- Robert McClain – Captain
- Scarlett Berkeley and Moses Thomas – Lieutenants
- Henry Farnsworth and John Russell – Lieutenants
- Gustavus Eligin and John Miller – Lieutenants
- Samuel Butcher and Joshua Botts – Lieutenants
- William Elliot – Ensign
- John Williams and George Taylor – Lieutenants
- Richard Shore – Ensign
- John Henry – Captain
- Nathaniel Adams and George Mason – Lieutenants
- Peter Benham – Ensign
- Thomas Marks, William Robinson and Joseph Butler – Lieutenants
- Joseph Wildman – Ensign
- John Linton – Lieutenant
- George Asbury – Ensign
- John Shrieve – Ensign
- Francis Russell – Lieutenant
- Joseph Wildman – Lieutenant
- Francis Elgin, Jr. – Ensign
- Jacob Caton – Ensign
- George Kilgore – Lieutenant
July 12th 1779
- John Debell – Lieutenant
- William Hutchison – Ensign
October 11th 1779
- Francis Russell – Captain
Categories: Old Documents
How many Rev War Patriots do you have in your tree?
wonderful…. thanks for sharing charlotte
On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 8:41 AM, Kentucky Kindred Genealogy wrote:
> Kentucky Kindred Genealogical Research posted: “About six weeks ago I > ordered copies of the Revolutionary War records of my 5th > great-grandfather, John Linton. He was recommended as Lieutenant in 1778 > and Captain in 1781. I share with you today the lists of those soldiers > recommended for changes in r” >
Where did you get copies of their records? I am a descendent if William Pearman who had 8 sons and I know he was in the Rebulutionary War. Later the sons moved into Hardin County My and I believe Samuel Pear man helped founded West Point KY. Any help is appreciated and I would love to correspond with you.
Thank you for this. I descend from James Whaley.
You are very welcome, Bryan. Always nice to hear when something is helpful!