from History of Kentucky, Illustrated, Volume 3
Walter W. Evans
Walter W. Evans was born on the 25th of January, 1815, in Barren County, Kentucky, and was the eighth of nine children born to Alexander and Nancy (Warder) Evans, the former of whom was a native of Culpeper County, Virginia, and the latter a native of Maryland. Both were of English descent. Alexander Evans was educated and married in his native State, where in early life he learned the carriage and wagon-maker’s trade and followed the same in Virginia until about 1800, when he removed with his wife and two children to Barren County, Kentucky, then an almost unbroken wilderness. There his father-in-law, Joseph Warder, bought a large military grant, which he divided among his children. Mr. Evans settled on the portion falling to his wife’s share, and subsequently improved a farm upon which he resided for many years, and was engaged in farming in connection with his trade. In 1840 he sold his place in Barren and removed to Logan County, Kentucky, where he resided with his two sons, Walter and John, until his death, which occurred in 1846. He was a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and served through the entire struggle of seven years. Mrs. Nancy Evans’ death occurred in 1876, in her eighty-first year. From her girlhood she was a devoted member of the Baptist Church. Her father, Joseph Warder, was one of the most wealthy and extensive planters in the colony of Virginia. In about 1800 he came to Kentucky, where he located a military grant of several thousand acres in Barren County, upon which he located all his children. Walter W. Evans received a good common school education in his youth, for that early day, and was employed on his father’s farm until he attained his majority, after which he engaged as a traveling dry goods salesman for William Roberts, of Nashville, Tennessee, continuing that business for five years. He and his brother, John Evans, then engaged in the same business on their own account, and continued traveling for three years. They then bought a partially improved farm in the eastern part of Logan County, Kentucky, where they farmed together for about three years; Walter W. then left the farm and was engaged in collecting for Case, Willard & Co., of New York, for two years. He then dissolved partnership with his brother, sold his interest in their farm and bought another partially improved place of 150 acres in what is known as the “Cut-off” in Simpson County, Kentucky, to which he continued to add from time to time, until owner of well improved farms amounting to some 800 acres. Here he resided and was extensively engaged in farming and stock raising until his death, which occurred August 6, 1880. He belonged to no church, but was a member of the I. O. O. F. He married November 28, 1844, Susan Catherine, daughter of Nathan R. and Elizabeth (Hail) Harris, a native of Franklin, Simpson County, Kentucky, and born March 5, 1828. Her parents were natives of Louisa Court House, Virginia, and Simpson County, Kentucky, respectively, and were of English descent. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Evans was blessed by five sons and four daughters, viz.: Bettie (deceased), Mary (deceased), Robert A., Walter A. (deceased), Sallie (wife of Captain R. P. Finn), Joseph H., James William, John Elmore and Ida May. Mrs. Susan C. Evans is yet living and resides in the old homestead; her four youngest children are yet unmarried and reside with her. She has been from early life a devoted member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and was baptized and married by Rev. O. H. Morrow. Joseph H. Evans, the eldest of the sons remaining at home, is now constable of Middleton District. All the sons are energetic and successful farmers, and are among the most respected citizens of the county and district. All are Democrats in politics.