from Kentucky – A History of the State, Perrin, 1887
Larue County, Kentucky
Henry P. Martin was born March 7, 1845, in Green County, Kentucky, and is the fourth of thirteen children born to Henry and Mary (Dearing) Martin. Henry Martin was born in Green (now Taylor) County, March 22, 1808. In the spring of 1835 he came to Larue County, and in 1858 located on 120 acres three miles northwest of Hodgenville. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for forty years, and was for several years a local preacher.
His wife died in January, 1863, after which he married Eliza Sutton, who died in January, 1881;
his third wife was America Cagle. Henry Martin was the only child of William L. and Sallie (Shofner) Martin, natives, respectively, of Charles City County, Virginia, and Mercer County, Kentucky. William L. Martin was born May 26, 1782, on the waters of the James River, and came to Green County, Kentucky, in 1805, and in 1835 moved to Larue County.
William L. Martin, born May 26, 1782, in the state of Virginia, in Charles City County, on the waters of the James River, and came to Green County, Kentucky, in 1805, was married there October 17, 1807, and departed this life November 10, 1857, in the 76 year of his age. Red Hill Cemetery, Larue County, Kentucky.
He was a farmer and slave holder, and died in July, 1857. He was a son of Hartwell Martin, who married Sallie Porter,
both of Virginia. Henry P. Martin’s paternal grandmother was a daughter of Henry Shofner, who was a soldier of the Revolution, and served four years with General Marion; was one of the early pioneers of Mercer County, and later moved to Green County. He was of Dutch descent, and a native of New Jersey. H. P. Martin was reared on a farm, and came with his parents to Larue County. At twenty went to Hodgenville and drove stage; then went to New Haven for three years, after which he engaged in the livery business. In 1874 he was elected jailer, but had acted in the same capacity four years previous, and had also engaged in the grocery business for five years. In 1878 he moved on a farm; in January, 1879, he located on forty-six acres, which he has raised to sixty-five, one and one half miles northwest of Hodgenville. He was married, in August, 1866, to Sarah Redman, a daughter of James and Nancy (Walters) Redman,
the former of whom had been jailer of Larue County for many years. The issue of this union was one child, Emma D. Mrs. Martin died in 1867, a member of the Christian Church, when Mr. Martin married his second wife, Mary Redman, sister of his first wife, in January, 1879. There have been born to this marriage eight children, seven living: Mollie, Lizzie, Hattie, Thomas H., Richard R., Charles and Willie A. Mrs. Martin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity and I.O.O.F. In politics he is a Democrat, and in the fall of 1885 was appointed store-keeper and gauger.