The Sayings, Harrodsburg, KY
Saturday, September 9, 1896
Joshua Daft Marimon, the oldest inhabitant of this city and county, was gathered to his fathers, Sunday afternoon, September 6, at five minutes before 2 o’clock, of pneumonia and old age – aged 92 years, 6 months and 20 days. He was a great sufferer for four days prior to his death. His was a long, active Christian Life, filled with good deeds and helpful words. Honesty was as much a part of his nature as his faith in God and trust in Christ, his Savior. His many years in this community is a record of righteous conduct, both in the church and in the state, that is particularly grateful to his children even unto the fourth generation.
A wife, Mary Stevenson Marimon, aged 89, and four children – Mr. T. S. Marimon, Sr., Mrs. Eliza Jane Ewing, a relict of Jos. C. Ewing; Mrs. Susan Logan Robards, relict of Alford O. Robards; and Miss Sarah Elizabeth Marimon, all of this city – survive to mourn his loss. One child, Mary Ann, proceeded him many years to the grave, dying in 1850 aged 9. Six grandchildren, besides numerous great grandchildren, revere his memory. The former are – Mrs. Silas McDonald, Jr., Saint Joseph, Mo.,; Mr. Frank Marimon, Cincinnati, Ohio; Mr. R. L. Marimon, this city; Mrs. Samuel H. Smith, Saint Joseph, Mo.,; Mr. T. S. Marimon, Jr. and Mr. W. T. Ewing, this city.
The funeral was conducted at the First Presbyterian Church, yesterday morning at 10 o’clock, by the pastor, Dr. J. G. Hunter, assisted by Rev. W. O. Goodloe and interment took place in Spring Hill Cemetery. Deceased had been a continuous and faithful member of that one church for more than half a century, being a deacon for forty-odd years.
The pall-bearers were the deacons and elders of the church – Dr. J. O. Dedman, David Vanarsdall, Dr. A. D. Price, W. B. Davis, C. M. Dedman, Dwight Vanarsdall and Dr. H. Plummer.
J. D. Marimon was the son of Thomas Marimon and Elizabeth Daft, the former being a soldier in the War of 1812, and was born in St. Charles County, Maryland, near Port Tobacco, February 17, 1804. When quite a youth, his father died in his 37th year, leaving his mother with five children to care for. In 1816 the widow and children set out for Kentucky, but on arriving at Abingdon, Virginia, they were set upon by robbers and despoiled of everything, even to the old family Bible. There they dwelt for two years when they again started for Kentucky, arriving at Richmond in the fall of 1818. There, five years later, Mrs. Marimon married an Irishman, William Anderson, who was a soldier of the Revolution under General Washington. The subject of this sketch worked in a cotton factory in Richmond till 17 years old when he was bound out to Robert Norris, a machinist who moved to Lexington, where the former mastered the trade, afterward becoming an expert in his line and a manufacturer of wool carding machinery. While in Lexington he met, wooed and married Mary W. Stevenson who was from Maryland (New Town, now Pokomoke City), also having come to this state with her parents, Robert and Edith Stevenson in 1818. She was born October 4, 1808. The nuptials were celebrated on January 17, 1827, and it will be noticed that they lived together as husband and wife for the remarkable period of 69 3/4 years. The Rev. Nathan Hall, of the First Presbyterian Church of Lexington, performed the marriage ceremony. They lived in Lexington during the fearful epidemic of cholera in 1833 and Mr. Marimon was stricken with the malady. The first railroad west of the Allegheny mountains was from Lexington to Frankfort and Mr. Marimon helped build the locomotive that ran on it. In 1828 he moved back to Richmond where he joined the Presbyterian Church, that year, under the preaching of “Old Father” Baxter, returning to Lexington the next year where he remained until 1834 when he took his family to a place six miles south-west of Lancaster in Garrard County. Here he remained three years, being engaged in wool-carding and the manufacture of that class of machinery. In 1837 he brought his family to Cane Run in this county, a mile east of the present town of Burgin, where he pursued a like occupation. In 1846 he came to Harrodsburg and bought the property on the corner of Main and Lexington streets, running a big carding factory and manufacturing yarn, jeans, linsey, etc., for many years which he shipped South. He resided continuously in Harrodsburg from 1846 till the day of his death at his late home at the junction of Cane Run and Lexington Streets – a period of 50 years. He was sick very little during his long life until very late years and attended to business up to within five years of his demise. His memory was something remarkable – dates, places, incidents, etc., being retained and related with marvelous accuracy. His mind was wonderfully preserved and right up to almost the last, was unclouded even by the near approach of death. His life went out as peacefully and quietly as the sinking of the sun to its eternal rest.