From Warren County, Kentucky – Biographies
E. A. Porter was born August 22, 1841, near Scottsville, Allen County, where he grew to manhood. In 1871 he moved to Warren County, and located at his present home opposite the mouth of Drake’s Creek. His father, Uriah Porter, was born and reared in Allen County, and was one of the leading farmers, stock raisers and traders in that county; he was a son of Edward Porter, a native of Maryland, a farmer, and of Scotch-Irish origin. Uriah Porter was twice married. His first wife, whom he married October 9, 1838, was Harriet, daughter of Leroy and Rachel Jackson, and to their union the following children were born: Edward L., E. A., Emily C., Clinton J. and Charles W.; his second marriage took place June 21, 1866, with Fannie, daughter of John and Olivia (Lewis) Rogers. Mr. Rogers was a descendant of Edward Rogers of Barren County. By this union five children were born – four now living. E. A. Porter married January 20, 1875, Belle, daughter of Charles and Mary (Porter) Donaldson. Two children bless their union: Eugenia and Charles D. Mr. Porter is one-third owner of 1,500 acres on Barren River of well-improved and productive land. He and his brother are among the heaviest cattle dealers and raisers in Warren County. In beginning business for himself he was obliged to rely on his own resources, his father having lost about $75,000 worth of slaves and other property. By his industry, however, Mr. Porter has made life a success. He is the inventor of the Porter corn crusher, and politically a Democrat.