Samuel S. and Henrietta Gregg Buried In Maple Grove Cemetery Jessamine County

Samuel S. Gregg, born September 7, 1844, died December 5, 1885, aged 41 years, 2 months and 28 days.  Henrietta B. Gregg, born July 19, 1844, died October 12, 1895.  Maple Grove Cemetery, Nicholasville, Jessamine County, Kentucky.

This family seems to have more than its share of troubles. Samuel and Henrietta Gregg died at fairly young ages.  They had two children, a son named Luke, and a daughter, Bessie, who lived only two years past her father’s death.  After Henrietta’s suicide, Luke was raised by his grandfather, James Gregg.  Luke experienced a few trials of his own.  Four years previous to his marriage to Viola Soper on January 11, 1900, a tornado ripped the chimney off his home.  In 1920 Luke was driving an automobile, his son James a passenger in the front seat, and two men who had helped with cutting tobacco in the back seat.  It was hit by a train, killing the two men in the back seat and injuring father and son.

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Monday, December 7, 1885

Fatal Effects of a Fall

Nicholasville, Kentucky, December 6 – Col. S. Gregg died at his house near this city last night, about 8 o’clock, aged about 40 years.  A few nights since he was walking through his house when he fell over a chair and broke two ribs and injured himself internally otherwise, which caused his death.  He was a great friend of Ex-Gov. Blackburn, and was a member of his staff during his term of office.  He leaves a wife and two children and a nice fortune.  The funeral services will take place at the home tomorrow morning at 11 o’clock, and will be conducted by Revs. D. B. Cooper and B. Noland, after which the remains will be interred in the cemetery at this place.

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky

Monday, October 14, 1895

Left a Large Estate

No Cause For the Suicide of Mrs. Henrietta Gregg

Nicholasville, Kentucky, Oct. 13 – The funeral of Mrs. Henrietta Gregg, who ended her life by hanging, took place today from her late residence, three miles from Nicholasville.  It was learned that several days ago Mrs. Gregg had threatened to commit suicide, but her nearest friends thought it was only talk.  Last Thursday afternoon at 5 o’clock she secured a clothesline, went to the top of an old stairway, fastened the rope to a rafter, and swung out into open space.  She had not been hanging more than five minutes when she was discovered by her father-in-law, Mr. James Gregg.  The body was taken down, a physician summoned, and everything possible done to bring her back to life, but to no purpose, she breathing her last Saturday morning.

Mrs. Gregg had been brooding over money matters for some time, although she was in good circumstances, owning several thousand dollars worth of real estate in Nicholasville.  Her son, Luck, who is now sixteen years old, will come into possession of $25,000 when he becomes of age, left him by his father.  Mrs. Gregg was just finishing a handsome home in Nicholasville, into which she would have moved next month.

Leave a Reply