Friday, since it was so hot and humid, instead of a cemetery Ritchey and I chose to visit two courthouses – Casey County in Liberty, and Pulaski County in Somerset. Casey County’s courthouse was old and beautifully built in 1888. Pulaski County boasts a new courthouse built in 1975.
I share a page of marriage returns by Rev.Thomas Hill, dated 1800-1801. I don’t believe these are original records. The handwriting throughout is the same and doesn’t look like it was written in 1800. Perhaps the originals were in such bad shape they decided to write down the information. I’m just happy we have this. Many of the early marriage bonds were lost, some pages looked like they were nibbled by mice – and these were dated in the 1880’s.
Later more information on the two courthouses we visited.
I hereby certify that
- on the 30th day of December 1800, I joined together Barnard Housman and Elizabeth Couchran
- on the 19th day of February 1801, Charles Walker and Matilda Stephens, likewise John Taylor and Sally Harmon
- on the 9th day of April 1801, John Wolverton and Anna Hanks
- on the 21st day of August 1801, John Blackridge and Minah Newby
- on the 6th day of October 1801, John Eastham and Polly Dunham
- on the 7th day of October 1801, John Cooper and Polly McCown and also John Macninth and Patsy Cooper
- on the 19th day of August 1801, Abner McWhorter and Polly Spencer
- on the 17th day of December 1801, Amos Spencer and Polly Meek
- on the 19th day of January 1801, William Allen and Polly Burns
- on the 23rd day of February 1801, Thomas Jarvis and Nancy Ingram
- on the 5th day of March 1801, Thomas Scott and Elizabeth Jones
The foregoing lists of marriage was returned to my office as Clerk of the Pulaski County Court by the Reverend Thomas Hill and the same has been duly recorded in my office.
Att. Will Fox, C.P.
Categories: Marriage Records
I want to thank you for these records. I have more checking to do, but I believe I am related to the Rev. Thomas Hill and perhaps even Matilda Stephens. My Grandmother was a Stephens by birth and I know her family comes from Kentucky.