Note by Phyllis Brown: The Benjamin Mason and Elizabeth Berkeley mentioned are my 5th great grandparents – their daughter Ann Nancy Mason married Captain John Linton in 1770. John and Ann Linton moved to Washington County, Kentucky, in 1818.
From Bloomfield, Chaplin and Fairfield – A History and Genealogy of Northeastern Nelson County, Kentucky by Robert P. Moore
Philip Porter’s will, written 11 May 1831, prob. 14 Nov 1831 (Spencer Co., Ky. Will Book A, p. 229), mentions wife Nancy, sons John, William, James, Henry, Charles, Alfred; daughter Katharine Darne. His executors were John Huston, John C. Burnett and James Stone, and securities were James Stone, John Huston, James Tichenor and Stillwell Heady. A person of the same name is in Loudoun County, Virginia, tithable lists in the late 1780s. This, combined with the Loudoun County associations of James Porter of a nearby part of Nelson County, leads one to speculate that James was the son by that name mentioned in Philip’s will.
James Porter, b. 1787, d. 1865, married 2 Jun 1814, Nelson County, Kentucky, Nancy Mason, b. 12 Jan 1792, d. 13 Apr 1869. She was the daughter of George Mason (son of Benjamin Mason and Elizabeth Berkeley) and Elizabeth Grigsby (daughter of Nathaniel Grigsby and Ellizabeth Butler). Nancy is buried on the Frank Allen farm on Hwy 162 near Bloomfield. In the same graveyard are members of a Loudoun County Fox family, and the Masons and Berkeleys were also Loudoun County families.
1. Zerelda Porter, b. 27 Jun 1816, d. 29 Jan 1894, m. 1838, Nelson County, Kentucky, Coleman T. Brown, b. 26 Jul 1809, d. 13 Dec 1895. both buried Old Bloomfield Cemetery, Bloomfield, Kentucky.
2. Benjamin Mason Porter, b. 1818, d. 1888, m. 5 March 1861, Nelson County, Kentucky, Cordelia Meenach, b. 1841, d. 1921, daughter of David Barr Meenach and Cordelia Nourse Thomas. Both buried Old Bloomfield Cemetery, Bloomfield, Kentucky.
3. Sophronia Porter, b. ca. 1809, d. 19 Nov 1891, m. 1855, Nelson County, Kentucky, Frank Johnson, b. ca. 1809, d. 19 Nov 1891, age 82 years, 7 months, 13 days. Both are buried at Riverview Methodist Church, New Haven, Kentucky.
4. Margaret Porter, b. 1825, d. 1890, buried Maple Grove Cemetery, Bloomfield, Kentucky.
5. Charles Porter, b. 1832, d. 1905, m. 8 Oct 1867, Nelson County, Kentucky, Sallie Nicholls, b. 1842, d. 1917, daughter of Henry Nicholls and his cousin Elizabeth Nicholls. Both buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Bloomfield, Kentucky.
6. Bettie Porter, b. 17 Jul 1836, d. 17 May 1856, buried Fox-Porter graveyard on Frank Allen farm, near Bloomfield.