from Mercer County, Kentucky – Biographies
Charles Blount Sullivan was born July 23, 1851, at Elkton, Kentucky, where he was reared until 1866, when he was appointed a cadet to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, which position he resigned at the end of six months, and attended the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Lexington two and a half years. In 1870 he lived at Henderson; in 1871 at Louisville, in 1873 he removed to Woodford County, where he engaged in farming two years, and in December, 1874, he located on the old John Taylor farm, two miles south of Pleasant Hill, Mercer County, where he has since resided. His father, John P. Sullivan, a native of Woodford County, was born in 1813, and removed to Elkton about 1830, where he engaged in merchandising and hotel-keeping. He is the son of Lewis Sullivan, a native of Virginia, a farmer, who died about 1820. He had married Miss Collins, and their offspring were Silas H., Robert, John P., James, Obadiah, Luther and C. T. Benjamin. John P. married Sarah B., daughter of Fielding and Adelaide (Halliard) Bush, of Clark County (died April 11, 1865, aged thirty-six years), and from their union sprang Fielding L., John B., Silas H. and Charles B. John P.’s second wife is Mrs. Mollie S. Garnett (nee Arnold), of Woodford County. January 14, 1874, Charles Blount Sullivan was united in marriage to Miss Leah M., daughter of John W. and Catherine E. (Garnett) Arnold, of Woodford County (born February 10, 1852), and to them have been born Katie Grooms, Sarah Baker (deceased), Charles B., Jr., Garnett Arnold and Ethel (deceased). Mr. Sullivan is a farmer and trader, and owns 225 acres of good land. He deals largely in mules, and raises registered shorthorn cattle. He is also employed, at an annual salary, by Meguire, Helm & Co., Louisville, as an agent in soliciting consignments, and making advances on tobacco in Mercer and adjoining counties. Mr. Sullivan is a member of the Christian Church, and is identified with the Democratic party.