This is the fourth Woodford County Courthouse to be built. The first was built of logs in 1790 by Jesse Graddy, at a total cost of $22.50! The second, built in 1794, was built of stone by James and Henry Thompson. The third, built of brick, was finished 1812-1813, with a cupola and clock added by 1846. That structure burned in 1954, and the present courthouse was completed in 1970 by Gault Brothers of Lexington. I love the history of our courthouses!
As you can see from the following list copied at the Woodford County Clerk’s Office from the 1849 marriage book, this is a list of brides and grooms, with the bond date, and on the following page a certification of those marriages by ministers or justices of the peace. Notice that not all marriages are signed by one of the above personages – a few marriage certificates were never returned.
- April 10, 1849 – Robert Andrews to Amanda M. Edwards
- April 17, 1849 – Daniel H. Harrison to Minerva Norwood. I do hereby certify that I celebrated the matrimony between Daniel H. Harrison and Minerva Norwood on this 17th day of April, 1849. John N. Payne
- April 25, 1849 – Stephen S. Scott to Elizabeth Walker. I hereby certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Stepehn S. Scott and Elizabeth Walker this 25th day of April, 1849. P. V. Ferrie, M.G. (Minister of the Gospel)
- May 4, 1849 – Park Cornet to Mrs. Catharine Garret
- May 8, 1849 – David O. Harris to Mary H. McKinney (very hard to read). Duly solemnized May 8, 1849. W. M. Scott, M.G.
- May 17, 1849 – Joseph Tyson to Frances Taylor. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Joseph Tyson and Frances Taylor this 18th day of May, 1849. Sandridge Arnett
- May 19, 1849 – Bernard Hayedson to Sally Ann White
- May 24, 1849 – Ulysses Turner to Elizabeth Thornton. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Ulysses Turner and Elizabeth Thornton on the 24th day of May, 1849. H. H. Kavannaugh, Minister of M. E. Church South.
- June 13, 1849 – Abram Searcy to Jane Gibson (both of color).
- June 13, 1849 – Orange Reed Gaines to Sarah Ann Gaines.
- June 20, 1849 – Benjamin F. Stark and Sarah Simmons. This is to certify that I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Benjamin F. Starks and Sarah Cummens on the 21st of June, 1849. C. Smith, V.D.M. (Verbi Dei Minister – Minister of the Word of God).
- June 28, 1849 – Richard R. Hawkins to Amanda Shouse. This is to certify that I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Richard R. Hawkins and Amanda Shouse on the 28th of June, 1849. C. Smith, V.D.M.
- July 19, 1849 – John H. Slaughter to Sarah P. Ruiley. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of Matrimony between the within named John H. Slaughter and Sarah P. Ruiley, given under my hand this 19th day of July, 1849. J. H. Jivley (Zivley?).
- July 23, 1849 – Joseph S. Layson to Jemtha Watts. J do certify that I celebrated the rites of Matrimony between Joseph L. Lawson and Jemtha Watts this 25th day of July, 1849. C. Kendrick.
- July 25, 1849 – John W. Sargent to Sarah Elizabeth Hantems (?).
- August 8, 1849 – Hawkins Mitchell to Elizabeth Sanders.
- August 13, 1849 – Richard Scott to Rebecca Allen. I hereby certify that I this day, August 14, 1849, solemnized the rites of matrimony between Richard Scott and Rebecca Allen agreeable to license issued at your office. James M. Bayless, Pastor of Pisgah Church.
Categories: Marriage Records