This is the fourth Woodford County Courthouse to be built. The first was built of logs in 1790 by Jesse Graddy, at a total cost of $22.50! The second, built in 1794, was built of stone by James and Henry Thompson. The third, built of brick, was finished 1812-1813, with a cupola and clock added by 1846. That structure burned in 1954, and the present courthouse was completed in 1970 by Gault Brothers of Lexington. I love the history of our courthouses!
As you can see from the following list copied at the Woodford County Clerk’s Office from the 1849 marriage book, this is a list of brides and grooms, with the bond date, and on the following page a certification of those marriages by ministers or justices of the peace. Notice that not all marriages are signed by one of the above personages – a few marriage certificates were never returned.
- April 10, 1849 – Robert Andrews to Amanda M. Edwards
- April 17, 1849 – Daniel H. Harrison to Minerva Norwood. I do hereby certify that I celebrated the matrimony between Daniel H. Harrison and Minerva Norwood on this 17th day of April, 1849. John N. Payne
- April 25, 1849 – Stephen S. Scott to Elizabeth Walker. I hereby certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Stepehn S. Scott and Elizabeth Walker this 25th day of April, 1849. P. V. Ferrie, M.G. (Minister of the Gospel)
- May 4, 1849 – Park Cornet to Mrs. Catharine Garret
- May 8, 1849 – David O. Harris to Mary H. McKinney (very hard to read). Duly solemnized May 8, 1849. W. M. Scott, M.G.
- May 17, 1849 – Joseph Tyson to Frances Taylor. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Joseph Tyson and Frances Taylor this 18th day of May, 1849. Sandridge Arnett
- May 19, 1849 – Bernard Hayedson to Sally Ann White
- May 24, 1849 – Ulysses Turner to Elizabeth Thornton. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of matrimony between Ulysses Turner and Elizabeth Thornton on the 24th day of May, 1849. H. H. Kavannaugh, Minister of M. E. Church South.
- June 13, 1849 – Abram Searcy to Jane Gibson (both of color).
- June 13, 1849 – Orange Reed Gaines to Sarah Ann Gaines.
- June 20, 1849 – Benjamin F. Stark and Sarah Simmons. This is to certify that I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Benjamin F. Starks and Sarah Cummens on the 21st of June, 1849. C. Smith, V.D.M. (Verbi Dei Minister – Minister of the Word of God).
- June 28, 1849 – Richard R. Hawkins to Amanda Shouse. This is to certify that I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Richard R. Hawkins and Amanda Shouse on the 28th of June, 1849. C. Smith, V.D.M.
- July 19, 1849 – John H. Slaughter to Sarah P. Ruiley. I do certify that I celebrated the rites of Matrimony between the within named John H. Slaughter and Sarah P. Ruiley, given under my hand this 19th day of July, 1849. J. H. Jivley (Zivley?).
- July 23, 1849 – Joseph S. Layson to Jemtha Watts. J do certify that I celebrated the rites of Matrimony between Joseph L. Lawson and Jemtha Watts this 25th day of July, 1849. C. Kendrick.
- July 25, 1849 – John W. Sargent to Sarah Elizabeth Hantems (?).
- August 8, 1849 – Hawkins Mitchell to Elizabeth Sanders.
- August 13, 1849 – Richard Scott to Rebecca Allen. I hereby certify that I this day, August 14, 1849, solemnized the rites of matrimony between Richard Scott and Rebecca Allen agreeable to license issued at your office. James M. Bayless, Pastor of Pisgah Church.