Cyrus Crawford, born December 3, 1802, died September 23, 1855. Mahala F., daughter of Harrison and Ruth Walker, & wife of Cyrus Crawford, born April 1, 1811, died January 22, 1857. They were married May 25, 1837. Perryville Cemetery, Boyle County, Kentucky.Samuel Crawford, born November 4, 1787, died August 14, 1868.
In the Perryville Cemetery, Boyle County, there are graves of two brothers – Samuel and Cyrus Crawford – and their wives. The brothers were the sons of Thomas Crawford and Mary Ewing, both from Chester County, Pennsylvania. When they moved to this area Boyle was still part of Mercer County, not becoming a county until 1842. Both Crawford and Ewing families moved to Kentucky, settling in Mercer and Washington, and after the formation of Boyle and Marion, some families were in the areas that became the two new counties. The two families intermarried – Samuel Crawford married his first cousin, Catherine Ewing, daughter of Samuel Ewing and Margaret McMichael. Samuel’s brother Thomas married Catherine’s sister, Rebecca.
Samuel Crawford, born November 14, 1787, died August 14, 1863.
Catherine, wife of Samuel Crawford, born March 21, 1790, died July 10, 1861, aged 71 years, 3 months, 19 days.
Since there are so many intertwined marriages, and these families are so interesting, I checked the Mercer County marriages for any with these two names.
- James Crawford married Catherine Miller, December 7, 1794. Bondsman, William Crawford. Bride’s parents, John and Sarah Miller.
- John Crawford married Ethe Jones, December 7, 1796. Bride’s father, Mason Jones.
- William Crawford married Mary Pryor, May 18, 1798. Bride’s father, John Pryor.
- John Ewing married Eleanor Reilly, November 8, 1798. Bride’s parents, Barnabas and Anne Reilly.
- Thomas Ewing married Margaret Tilford, June 1, 1790.
- William Ewing married Margaret Paulson, December 24, 1790. Bondsman, Thomas Crawford, who certifies the bride is 21.
- Jesse Durham married Elizabeth Ewing, March 5, 1810. Bondsman, Samuel Ewing.
- James Gilbertson married Eliza Crawford, March 21, 1808. Bondsman, Thomas Crawford.
- Nathan H. Hall married Ann Crawford, July 14, 1807. Bondsman, Thomas Crawford.
- John McAfee married Margaret Ewing, February 27, 1798. Bondsman, Samuel Ewing.
- George Crawford married Elizabeth Embree, March 15, 1815.
- James Crawford married Judith wood, February 10, 1812. Bride’s father, James Woods.
- John Crawford married Abigail McFatrich, April 1, 1824. Bondsman, William E. Crawford. Daughter of William and Abigail (Steen) McFatrich.
- Samuel Crawford married Catherine Ewing, November 4, 1814. Bondsman, Samuel Ewing.
- Thomas Crawford married Rebecca Ewing, May 6, 1816. Bondsman, Samuel Crawford.
- Thomas Crawford, Jr., married Sarah Shearl, July 6, 1824.
- Thomas J. Crawford married Margaret Crawford, March 4, 1816. Bondsman, Thomas Crawford.
- William Crawford married Jane Vandike, July 24, 1822.
- Baker F. Ewing married Sarah M. Durham, November 11, 1823. Bondsman, John L. Ewing.
- John Ewing married Betsy may, October 30, 1817.
- John Bohon married Mary Crawford, October 7, 1818. Bondsman, William Crawford, makes oath his sister Polly is 21 years old.
- Jacob Crow married Mary Crawford, February 26, 1820. Bride’s Father, Thomas Crawford. W. E. Crawford.
- William McElroy married Catherine Crawford, February 2, 1811. Bondsman, Thomas Crawford.
- George Stevenson married Margaret Crawford, April 16, 1811. Bride’s mother, Eleanor Crawford. Hugh Crawford.
Washington County Marriages
- a. Crawford married A. P. Flournoy, January 31, 1884.
- Leroy Crawford married Josephine Patix, July 3, 1883.
- John Crawford married Sarah McElroy, March 10, 1817.
- Thomas Crawford married Laura Durham, October 18,1876.
- E. Crawford married Mary Gum, June 2, 1887.
- William Crawford married Susanna Graves, February 8, 1859.
- William E. Crawford married Esther McElroy, November 23, 1825.
- Charles Ewing married Henrietta Hayden, February 19, 1805.
- Henry Ewing married Susan Grundy, September 23, 1824.
- F. Ewing married Margaret E. Creager, April 18, 1862.
- James C. Ewing married Mattie E. Short, May 14, 1874.
- James Ewing married Mary Wicker, October 22, 1833.
- James Ewing married Sally Clark, March 5, 1823.
- James T. Ewing married Jennie D. Brown, March 25, 1885.
- John Ewing married Eleanor Kelly, November 1798.
- John T. Ewing married Amanda Thompson, January 2, 1855.
- Samuel Ewing married Sarena White, October 12, 11864.
- Samuel Ewing married Susan Lewis, December 9, 1821.
- William Y. Ewing married Ann Reid, October 12, 1810.
- Daniel Edelen married Julia Crawford, December 12, 1876.
- Edelen married Charlotte Crawford, September 3, 1874.
- Gabriel E. Nall married Maria T. Crawford, February 10, 1851.
- John W. Skeins married Lavinia Crawford, March 17, 1863.
- John O. Ball married Margaret Ewing, May 27, 1844.
- George W. Bates married Mary E. Ewing, February 6, 1850.
- Craven Belcher married Margaret Ewing, August 1798.
- Dabney C. Cosby married Lydia Ewing, April 29, 1813.
- William Edmondson married Martha Ewing, December 8, 1831.
- Levi Funk married Sarah Ewing, September 15, 1827.
- Thomas Head married Anne Ewing, November 29, 1814.
- John Huff married Mariah Ewing, May 13, 1840.
- Charles Norris married Nancy Ewing, January 10, 1822.
- John N. Nourse married Rachel C. Ewing, May 8, 1828.
- George W. Parrish married Arena F. Ewing, June 14, 1877.
- John C. Riley married Mary Ewing, December 21, 1820.
- William E. Riley married Elizabeth Ann Ewing, April 20, 1846.
- Samuel Rubles married Susanna Ewing, May 19, 1858.
- Daniel Thompson married Polly Ewing, May 13, 1813.
More information about these families will be forthcoming.
Categories: Marriage Records
Thank you so much for posting this info. If you know any other Ewing McAfee Buchanan history I would love to read it. I am related to both Margaret McMichael Ewing, Janet McMichael McAfee, George Buchanan & Margaret Ewing, John & Thomas Carr
“John Huff married Mariah Ewing, May 13, 1840” – the correct spelling is “John Hupp”. John Hupp was born in Washington county KY 1812. He died 23 Nov. 1889 in IN. obit appears in Bloomington Courier, Volume 16, Number 8,Bloomington, Monroe County, 7 December 1889
Contributed by the Monroe County Public Library. Mariah Ewing b. 19 Sep 1822 and died 29 APR 1890 • Monroe, Indiana, United States. I have no further information on Mariah’s parents. She is my third great grandmother and I would appreciate any leads that you might have.
Where you mention this above.
“The two families intermarried – Samuel Crawford married his first cousin, Catherine Ewing, daughter of Samuel Ewing and Margaret McMichael. Samuel’s brother Thomas married Catherine’s sister, Rebecca. ”
I believe this is incorrect. They married the daughters of Samuel Ewing 2nd and Catherine Crawford., NOT Samuel Ewing and Margaret McMichael. I know it gets confusing I have spent years untangling.