from Mercer County, Kentucky – Biographies
William Logan Reed was born May 19, 1819, in Lexington, Kentucky, where he was reared until 1835, when he was sent to Kelley’s High School, at Harrodsburg. In 1836 he commenced to learn the tanner’s trade with his brothers and spent two and one-half years with his uncle in Danville, at the same vocation. In 1841 he entered into partnership with George C. Timberlake, of Garrard County, in the tanner’s trade, at which he continued three years, when he removed to Lexington, and purchased the old Trotter farm, upon which he located. In 1850 he removed to Boyle County and engaged in farming seven years, after which he established a tannery in Lincoln County, which he operated for five years. In 1864 he located on Cane Run Turnpike, three miles east of Harrodsburg, Mercer County, where he has since resided. His father, Isaac Reed, a native of Maryland, removed to Kentucky about 1795, locating in Lexington, where he engaged extensively in the manufacture of boots and shoes, often employing from forty to sixty men on sewed work alone. He amassed a handsome property at the business, and died in 1847 at the age of seventy-two years. He married Rebecca Prall, of Lexington, and from their union sprang Henry W., John P., Emeline (Timberlake), Mary J. (Bridges), Andrew J. and William L. September 22, 1845, William L. Reed was united in marriage with Miss Josephine, daughter of John and Mary (Dunn) Hogan, of Garrard County, born September 24, 1824, and to them have been born Emeline I., deceased; Mary R., wife to Thomas P. Embry, of Fayette County; Andrew J., deceased; Ophelia, wife of Bedelle Chancellor of Virginia; Julia H., deceased; Lizzie H., wife of B. C. Sandidge, of Lincoln County; and William A. J. Mr. Reed is a farmer and stock raiser, directing his attention to shorthorn cattle and trotting horses, and owns 433 acres of finely improved and productive land. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, an Odd Fellow and a Democrat.