Bracken County, Kentucky
Arthur Brough died at the home of his son, John C. Brough, in Milford at 11:30 p.m. April 24th, 1928. He had a few days of critical illness following years of declining health. He was born in Mason County April 12, 1848. He came to Milford in the early seventies and was married to Fannie Coleman in 1876. The greater part of half a century was spent in Milford.
He leaves a devoted son John, who with his wife and son George had stayed his tottering steps in these last years. He was a courtly gentleman of the old time school. For many years he was a teacher in the county schools. He was the Milford member of the Fiscal Court as long as he would consent to serve. He united with the Milford Christian Church on July 4, 1910, under the ministry of the Rev. Marion Pfanstiel, who will officiate in the last sad rites tomorrow. He was active in Church and Sunday School work. He leaves two brothers living, both very old. James, an old time traveling salesman at Dayton, Ohio, and Mack, of Crittenden, Kentucky, who is nearing the ninetieth milepost, was a leading teacher more than fifty years ago when wielding the birch held the place now given to athletics. Of the well-known family of Robert Coleman, two of his wife’s sisters survive, Mrs. Lydia Harber on the home farm and Mrs. Belle Frank of Brooksville. Funeral services will be held in the Milford Christian Church Tuesday at 2 p.m. Burial will follow in the Coleman cemetery on the Coleman farm by the side of his wife who passed away some twenty years ago. Always a cultured gentleman he spent his fourscore years in making friends. Regret only will follow his taking off, and sympathy for the sorrowing son, daughter-in-law and grandson. They can look back over the years of duties ably filled as time softens troubles and griefs into tender memories.