Tag Archives: St. Dominic Cemetery

Robertson Family Buried at St. Dominic

IMG_5771

A large plot at St. Dominic Catholic Church Cemetery in Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky, is dedicated to the family of George Dudley Robertson and Lucinda Hamilton Robertson.

IMG_5770

George was born February 14, 1834.  In the 1850 Washington County Census, at the age of 16, he is living with his brother Austin, a blacksmith, 28.  Included in the household is Austin’s young wife, Elizabeth, 21, and infant son Dudley B., born January, 1850.  George’s father must have been named Dudley since his son and grandson are named for him.

216

In the 1850 census Lucinda Hamilton is a tiny girl of 4 years, born March 1, 1845, living with her father, Alexander Hamilton, 62, born in Maryland.  He is one of the Maryland to Kentucky pioneers that came around the turn of the 19th century.  Born January 6, 1788, he outlived four wives – 1.  Harriet Edelen, 1791-March 13, 1823, married February 19, 1811; 2.  Theresa Jarboe, 1796-September 6, 1825, married January 4, 1824; 3.  Elizabeth Smith, 1804-March 31, 1834; married November 21, 1826; and 4.  Lucinda Hayden, 1815-March 30, 1845, married June 2, 1835.  Lucinda was named for her mother and was the youngest child in the family – her mother died 29 days after she was born.  Alexander lived for another 33 years, to the great age of 90.

223

Ten years late in 1860, George is living with another brother, William J. Robertson, a mail contractor.  Included in the family was William’s wife, Lucy, children Sarah, George, Mariah, Nellie and Susan, and his mother-in-law, Susan Knott.  George Dudley is 26 and is listed as a merchant.

IMG_9183

In 1861 William J. and wife Lucy, had a son, William Knott Robertson.  He was later the owner of Robertson’s clothing store in Springfield.  It was a staple for many, many years, located on the corner of Main Street and Lebanon Road.  The brick building has the date at the very top – 1896 – along with W. K.’s name.  Evidently George started out in the merchandizing business and continued throughout his life.  Was this business eventually sold to his nephew W. K. – or did George Dudley Robertson have another store location in Springfield – or did he remain a grocer as he is listed in later census records?

IMG_9182

Lucinda, listed as Louisa in the 1860 census, is 15, living with her father Alexander, age 72, older brother Richard, 48, and brother Alex, L. A.  I wouldn’t be surprised if her name was Lucinda Louisa Hamilton – or perhaps the other way around – or possible the two were interchangeable.

George Dudley Robertson and Lucinda Hamilton were married May 12, 1863.  In the 1870 census they are listed with George as a grocer, and children Florence, 3, and Annie, 1.  We know by the tiny graves listed in the St. Dominic Cemetery plot that another child was born during this 1863-1870 time period – Clarence Robertson.  The years are difficult to read on the stone but I believe it says born December 28, 1864, died September 17, 1866.

IMG_9199

The 1880 census gives a bit more information.  George is still listed as a grocer, but we find out that his parents were born in Virginia.  Lucinda’s father, of course, was born in Maryland, but her mother was born in Kentucky.  In addition to the two girls listed in the 1870 census, Joseph B., 7, and Mattie, 3, are included in the family unit.  But the years between 1870 and 1880 were difficult for the family.  Three babies died young – Mary Catherine Robertson, May 12, 1871-July 23, 1871; George Dudley, July 6, 1875-July 19, 1876; and Mary Lettie Robertson, May 12, 1879-October 20, 1879.  Four little stones in remembrance of four little children.

IMG_9200

By 1900 there are 4 children living with George and Lucinda – Mattie M, age 23, born April 1877; Hamilton A., 19, born August 1880; George D. (the second child with this name), 17, born February 1883 and William T., 14, born February 1886.  It also shows the couple has been married for 36 years, have had 11 children – 7 living, and George is a merchant/grocer.

Daughter Florence Robertson married George Lloyd Hayden, a hardware merchant, February 8, 1888.  In the 1900 census they have four children, Mary, 10; Louise, 8; George R., 3; and Lloyd George, 5/12.

In the 1910 census George is listed at 76 years of age, Lucinda, 66, with 11 children, 6 living.  Martha, 32, and William T., 23, live with their parents.

IMG_9185

Son Alexander Hamilton Robertson, born 1880, died 1942, married a woman by the name of Cecilia.  They are buried in the Robertson plot.

IMG_9186

Son Joseph B. Robertson married Effie Mudd.  They are buried with the family.

IMG_9192

J. B. Robertson, 1872-1907

IMG_9191

Effie Robertson, 1873-1944

IMG_9195

Daughter, Martha R. Brown, 1877-1922

IMG_9196

Son, William T. Robertson, 1886-1938

George Dudley Robertson lived to the age of 79.  He died May 28, 1913.  Lucinda lived another eleven years, dying also at the age of 79 on May 12,  1924, the same day and month as two of her children.  This was an ordinary family, living their lives during times of happiness and sorrow, just as we all do.  I’m glad we pieced their history together!

Linton Graves at Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church Cemetery

783

PLEASANT GROVE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church is an older church located in Washington County, Kentucky.  It was begun in 1833 – on land given by my 4th gr-grandfather, Captain John Hancock Linton, who brought his family to Kentucky in 1818 from Loudoun County, Virginia.  Linton’s have lived in this area for quite awhile since that time, but I think they have all died out or moved on by now.  Frances Barber Linton Montgomery, a great-granddaughter of the captain, died in 1945.  She was the last of her family.  Her parents and brother and sisters are buried at Pleasant Grove.  In her possessions was found the receipt for the gravestones for all of them.  If you ever wanted to know the cost of a tombstone in 1922, you now have the chance!

Scan_Pic0682

For $500 Frances’ sister Alice purchased one large stone for the parents and smaller stones for the siblings.

761

Edward Edwards Linton, 1824-1886, his wife, Catherine Elizabeth Taylor, 1830-1910

IMG_4718

Mary Kell Linton, 1871-1890

769

Annie Elizabeth Linton, 1859-1879

IMG_4772

John Edgar Linton, 1857-1919

IMG_4771

Alice Clark Linton, 1855-1935

There are two babies who died young, Margaret Gordon Linton, March 16, 1864 – May 17, 1865; and Martha Susan Linton, March 14, 1873 – January 25, 1876.  No stones mark their graves.  They may possibly be buried in the old Linton Cemetery just a few miles up the road – sharing a resting place with the captain!

My great-grandmother Frances lived until 1945 – ten years more than the rest of her family.  She and husband Robert E. Lee Montgomery are buried in St. Dominic Cemetery.  An entire family buried within 5 miles of each other!

Into a Watery Grave

The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

July 18, 1907

Into a Watery Grave

Sad Fate of Four Members of a Camping Party on Beech Fork on Last Friday Morning

Event Casts a Shadow of Gloom Over The Town

The Dead

Jacob L. Pardieu

Miss Nellie Noe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Noe

Miss Mary Comstock, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. T.   Comstock

Eddie Brown, colored boy, son of Bell Brown

While members of a fishing camp, the persons whose names appear above met death in a watery grave on last Friday morning in Beech Fork River, about three quarters of a mile from Maud, a small town on the Springfield and Bloomfield turnpike and about twelve miles from Springfield.  The unfortunate victims were all residents of Springfield.  The bodies of Miss Comstock and the colored boy were recovered shortly after the accident and within a few feet of where they were seen to sink.  The body of Miss Nellie Noe was recovered at about 11 o’clock on the following morning, a quarter of a mile below the fatal spot and below the old mill.  Mr. Pardieu’s remains were not recovered until Sunday morning when the body rose to the surface near the spot where the accident occurred and was found floating.

There has not been an event to occur in Springfield for years that has cast such a gloom over the entire community as the sad accident which took away the lives of four well-known people in the town.  The first message came by telephone from Maud and stated that four persons had been drowned.  The news spread like wild fire and everyone was soon making anxious inquiries for particulars.  Later reports confirmed the sad tidings and it was definitely learned that the victims of the unfortunate accident were Misses Nellie Noe and Mary Comstock, Mr. Jake Pardieu and Eddie Brown, the little colored boy.  Immediately searching parties were organized and more than a hundred men from Springfield were on their way to the river, prepared to search for the missing bodies.  Before the Springfield crowd had reached the spot the bodies of Miss Comstock and that of the colored boy, Eddie Brown, had been recovered.  News of the disaster had spread through all the neighborhood and during the day several hundred people had gathered on the river banks to render what aid they could in recovering the bodies of the unfortunate victims.

The Accident

There are a number of more or less conflicting reports about the particulars of the accident, but after talking with some of the eyewitnesses the News Leader is able to give the following version which we believe to be correct in all its essential details.  A camping party made up of the families of Messrs. C. W. Noe, Jake Pardieu, Richard Walker, W. T. Comstock, besides other friends had been in camp on the river bank for a day or two.  The men had placed a trot line and had been engaged in “running” it and for purpose had used two or three small row boats.  Two of those boats, especially, were frail affairs and were not intended for rough use.  In the party were two young men, Messrs. Harlan White and Arthur Thompson, who suggested to the young girls, Misses Nellie Noe and Mary Comstock that they go boat riding.  Accordingly the two small boats were brought into use and Miss Noe embarked in the boat with Harland White, while Miss Comstock went with young Thompson.  The young people were rowing about in the big pool of water above the old mill dam, which is quite deep in places.  Mr. Pardieu was in a larger boat and with him was the Negro boy, Eddie Brown.  He rowed out to where the young folks were and called to them to come back up to the shore, that he wanted them to help with the trot line.  While Pardieu was near the boats Miss Nellie Noe became alarmed at the water rising in the boat in which she was riding and clamored over into the boat occupied by Pardieu.  The other small boat containing Miss Comstock and young Thompson also drew near and Miss Comstock also attempted to get into the larger boat, but missed and fell into the water.  Mr. Pardieu dropped from the side of his boat to help the girl, but in some manner, probably owing to the moving over of the other occupants, the boat was upset.  In the excitement and probably in their efforts to help the girls the three men and the colored boy and the two girls were all floundering about in the water, which was some twelve or fifteen feet deep.  The three boats were overturned and useless.  Just what happened then, accounts differ.  The current at that point was swift and the unfortunate young people appeared to be doomed.  The struggle was brief.  The drowning girls grasped desperately at their companions and Mr. Pardieu was seen to be making a brave effort to save one or both of the girls, but the boats were gone and the shore was too far away to reach.  Before any of the other members of the party on shore could reach the spot the waters had closed over the unfortunate young ladies and the colored boy, and Pardieu, who was a good swimmer, was making a desperate struggle.  He was evidently too nearly exhausted, however, to make any progress and soon sank for the last time.  In the meantime the two young men, Thompson and White, after struggling in the water managed to grasp one of the capsized boats and to cling on until help reached them.  White was almost unconscious, having gone down twice before grasping the boat to which he clung.

Searching for the Dead

The news of the terrible disaster soon spread and willing workers came from every direction, and the work of rescuing the dead from the watery grave was begun.  Owing to heavy rains the night before, the river had begun to rise that morning and the swift current made the work of the searchers quite difficult.  After a short time the bodies of Miss Comstock and later that of the colored boy were brought to the surface and cared for.  All day Friday a hundred men dragged and dived in the river in the vicinity of the fatal spot in an effort to locate the two missing bodies, but without success.  The particular place is known as the “old mill pond” and a long and deep hole of water is formed in the river by an old mill dam over which the water was flowing freely on the day of the accident.  The use of dynamite was resorted to in the hope of causing the bodies to come to the surface, but the effort was unsuccessful.  With the coming of night the work of the searchers was suspended, but early on Saturday morning the work began again and was carried on systematically more thoroughly.  The searchers extended operations on down the river below the dam and here it was that the remains of poor Nellie Noe were discovered where they had lodged in shallow water.  The point was about a quarter of a mile below the scene of the disaster.  Encouraged by the finding of this body, the searchers went to work with renewed energy in their efforts to locate the one remaining corpse, that of Mr. Pardieu.  Despite heroic work, however, no trace of the missing body was discovered, and the tired out searchers went to their respective houses Saturday evening with their work yet unfinished.

On Sunday morning the news came to town that the body of Pardieu had been discovered.  It was found floating in the pool near where it had gone down by a colored man, Tyler Bland, who was on the river bank alone at an early hour.  The treacherous waters had given up their dead after successfully resisting the efforts of searchers for forty-eight hours.  The remains were taken to a neighboring house and later on brought to town.  There was a general expression of relief and thankfulness that the last of the earthly remains of the unfortunate victims of the great disaster had been recovered.

The Funerals

The sad duty of burying the dead was the next trial of their friends.  The services over the remains of Miss Mary Comstock took place at the Baptist church at 3 o’clock on Saturday afternoon, and were largely attended.  The funeral discourse was delivered by the regular pastor, Rev. W. H. Williams, and six of her girlfriends acted as pallbearers.  The interment was in Cemetery Hill.

On Sunday afternoon the friends of the departed ones were called on to witness the sad and unusual occurrence of a funeral service over two remains at one time.  At St. Dominic Church at the same hour the funeral ceremony over the remains of Miss Nellie Noe and Mr. Jake Pardieu was held, and later on the two bodies were consigned to rest in St. Dominic Cemetery.  Six girlfriends and schoolmates of Miss Noe carried the remains of their departed friend to the grave.

Eddie Brown, the colored lad, was buried on Saturday evening on Cemetery Hill, after services at the colored Baptist Church.

IMG_5713

Jacob L. Pardieu, December 8, 1869 – July 12, 1907, St. Dominic Cemetery, Washington County, Kentucky

Jacob L. Pardieu

Jacob L. Pardieu had lived in the vicinity of Springfield about 17 years.  His parents came from North Carolina and he was born in Claybourne County, Tennessee, where his parents resided for a while before coming to Kentucky.  He was 38 years of age and at an early age was married to Miss Mattie Walker, daughter of Mr. Green Walker, at Logood, Indiana.  Besides his wife, four children, the oldest being a son of 15 years, survive.  There was perhaps not a more industrious and hardworking man in the county than Jake Pardieu.  He worked and struggled sometimes through adversity in an effort to provide a competency for his family and he won the respect and friendship of all with whom he came in contact.  The bereaved wife and little children have the sympathy of the entire community in their loss.

Mary Comstock

Born August 1897, died July 12, 1907, she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Comstock, and was born and reared in Springfield.  She was of a bright and cheerful disposition and had many warm friends both among her young associates and among the older people of the community.  She had been a member of the Springfield Baptist Church for several years and her life was that of a conscientious Christian character.  She had been a regular attendant of the Springfield Graded School and was a bright pupil and a general favorite with her classmates.

In the death of Mary Comstock a father and mother have lost a valuable aid and comfort, and brother and sisters will miss her kindly advice and help.

IMG_5716

Nellie Noe, Mary 20, 1889 – July 12, 1907, St. Dominic Cemetery, Washington County, Kentucky

Nellie Noe

Another one of the victims of the distressing tragedy was born May 20, 1889, and was consequently just eighteen years of age.  She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Noe and was born and reared in Springfield.  There was perhaps no brighter mind, nor stronger character among the younger set of girls of Springfield than possessed by Nellie Noe.  She was ambitious and talented.  She stood at the head in her classes at school and won the respect and love of both teachers and pupils.  She was the idol of her devoted parents and her shocking death was a sad blow to them which will tax all their Christian fortitude for them to bear.  The heartfelt sympathy of many friends of the bereaved family goes out to them in this their sad hour.

A Tribute

Nellie, how very, very much you will be missed, especially so by loved ones at home and associates as well.  How sad the death of this sweet girl and in such a shocking way.  God in heaven, give father, mother, sisters and brother strength to bear this great grief.  Oh how sad it must and does make the entire community and how very sincerely do all sympathize with them.  Nellie was loved by all who knew her, she being of a bright and loving disposition, was a general favorite, to  know her was to love her.  Sunny and pleasant seemingly making it her one point to be congenial to all alike.  How cruel this sudden snatching her from our midst seems, how hard it must be for loved ones to bear.  But remember, bereaved ones, this will give you a desire to live a good, Christian life in that you may meet her in heaven.  Nellie, in her own sweet way, was always ready to lend a helping hand to any who need help, always glad to be of service to her companions, thereby commanding their love and good will.  She was a sweet and obedient child to her parents, their will being her pleasure.  Again do we most sincerely ask God a blessing on bereaved ones in this their unspeakable loss with the assurance that one day all things will be made plain to those who trust to God their all in all.  J. O. W.  Maryville, Tennessee

The Relationship

Mr. Pardieu and Nellie Noe and Mary Comstock were closely related by blood and marriage.  Mr. Pardieu’s wife and Nellie Noe’s mother are sisters, they being members of the Walker family.  Nellie Noe and Mary Comstock were own cousins, Mrs. Comstock being a sister of Mr. Charles Noe, the father of Nellie.

Sarah Janes Obituary

IMG_5790

from The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

Thursday, January 18, 1906

In Memoriam

Saturday, January the 15th, the death angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Janes, and took to a better home little Sarah, their youngest daughter.  She was a delicate child all her brief life of seven years, but was very bright and interesting.  A vacancy is felt in the house, a soreness in the hearts, which God alone can fill and heal.  The Master saw that this frail body could not stand the rough storms of this world, so he transplanted it to the garden above, where it could flourish in the sunshine of His love.  Jesus said, “Suffer the little children and to forbid them not to come unto me, for of such as of these is the Kingdom of heaven.”  The bereaved parents have the sympathy of all their friends and neighbors.  They have a sweet little daughter left which we hope may be spared to be a blessing to them.  While the little one that is taken has gone before, thus leading their thoughts and affections above, “Nearer my God to thee, nearer to thee, thought it be a cross that leadeth me.” May our heavenly Father comfort them in their sorrow is the prayer of a friend.

Sarah S., daughter of E. G. and L. M. Janes, August 23, 1891 – January 13, 1906

St. Dominic Cemetery, Washington County, Kentucky

Mrs. Harriet Montgomery Obituary

IMG_5793

from The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

Thursday, March 14, 1907

Death of Mrs. Montgomery

Mrs. Harriet Montgomery, widow of Mr. R. B. Montgomery, died at her home in Springfield Tuesday night after a long illness of infirmities incident to old age.  The deceased was 73 years of age, and was a greatly beloved Christian woman.  She had been a resident of the county all her life and reared a large family of children to useful manhood and womanhood.  Her husband, who was one of the county’s most substantial farmer-citizens, died in August 1905.  Mrs. Montgomery is survived by three daughters and five sons.  The daughters are:  Mrs. Pattie Blandford and Misses Louise and May Bell Montgomery.  The sons are:  Messrs. Alex, Price, of Kansas, Frank, James and Lum Montgomery.  The funeral will be held at St. Dominic church this (Thursday) morning and the interment will take place at the church cemetery.

R. B. Montgomery, April 4, 1824 – August 2, 1905

Harriet A., his wife, October 6, 1834 – March 12, 1907

J. R. Montgomery, April 30, 1879 – August 18, 1890

J. E. Montgomery, January 12, 1876 – February 19, 1892

Blue Jay Simms Kelly Obituary

from The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

Thursday, August 4, 1910

Death of Mrs. Kelly

Mrs. Richard Kelly died at her home near town on last Firday after a short illness.  Mrs. Kelly, before her marriage, was Miss Anna J. Simms, or as she was familiarily know to her friends, “Blue Jay”, and was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Simms and was born near Springfield, October 9, 1888.  On January 12, 1909, she was married to Mr. Richard Kelly.

Funeral services were conducted at St. Dominic Sunday by Rev. Father Hennesay and burial was in St. Dominic’s cemetery.  A large crowd of friends and relatives from this and surrounding counties followed the remains to their last resting place.  The many beautiful floral designs attested the esteem in which she was held.

Death “Tis Sad

It matters not the day nor the hour, whether the message is for the rich or poor, the young or aged, the grim messenger of Death is surrounded by that same solemn mystery, is received with the same helpless cry:

“Thou madst Death:  Thou art Just.”

It is hard for us of the earth to bow our heads to the will of the “Most High” and say “Thy will be done” when he takes from us all that we hold most dear – yet, there is no other way – “He giveth and He taketh.”  Why He gives us loved ones and then takes them from us at the time we need and love them most, we know not – but we do know that we are better because of their brief life here.

There is seldom a death in which society in general is so bereft, as in that of Mrs. Richard Kelly, better known as “Blue Jay” Simms.  but two short years ago she was a loved and honored member of society, one of the happy throng of young girls enjoying the mirth and jollity of youth, the daughter and sister of a happy home; only a few short months ago at the foot of the altar, she became a happy bride.  But just as she learned the true meaning of being a wife and mother, Death called – and she must leave her infant babe never to hear the sound of a mother’s voice, never to feel the embrace of a mother’s arms; she must leave her husband ere he started up the hill of life, to journey all alone, no other companion than shattered dreams and blasted hopes; she must leave the loving father and mother, sister and brother, friends of childhood and youth.  Perhaps because she was worthy of a more perfect love than life can give, perhaps that her beautiful death might be a rich lesson to us.  Whatever the reason, we know that such deaths as hers are but a time of rest, of preparation for birth into a new and more perfect life.  It was faith in this truth that gave to her to whom life seemed most dear, for whom it had only just begun, such perfect resignation; it is this same faither that keeps these who are left behind from despair.  As she was loved and honored in life, so she will be mourned in death, yet, we know that hers is the better part, that we of the earth are the sufferers – for “Thou madst Death and Thou are just.”

Frank and Catherine Kelley Wall Obituaries

from The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

Thursday, July 9, 1896

The Late Frank Wall

Seldom has our community been so much shocked as when on last Friday the news came that Mr. Frank Wall was killed by a railway engine at his old home in Pennsylvania.  That in the twinkling of an eye, his life had been snatched away.  But on the day before, he had gone on a mission of business and pleasure to his old home at Wall Station, Pennsylvania, in the enjoyment of health and high spirits and possessing an activity rarely witnessed in one of his ripe age.  The subject of this sketch was born in Ireland in County Derry, January 4, 1810.  He had a vivid recollection of the scenes of his early childhood and often spoke of visiting his native land.  His parents, Michael and Margaret McKee Wall, immigrated to America in 1822, settling near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, very near the spot where he met his death.  At an early age he bid adieu to his father’s home and began life on his own resources, working as a laborer on the first railroad built in America, and no the great Pennsylvania canal.  Having a natural adaptability to mechanics he turned his attention to engine repairing and finally obtained a position as engineer on a steamboat running on the Mississippi.  He followed river life for about seventeen years, being a portion of the time a part owner of several boats.  His many adventures on the water, particularly the Gulf of Mexico, in unseaworthy boats were examples of as great men and judgment as were ever displayed by any commodore in our history.  He loved to talk of his river life, which extended over a period of 18 years, full of so many thrilling accidents and various scenes.  For two years he was in the service of the Government in the Seminole War.  In 1847 he married Miss Catherine Kelley, of Columbus, Georgia, quit river life and soon returned to his old home in Pennsylvania till 1866 where he followed a farmer’s life.  He had saved considerable money out of his earnings on the river.  When he left home he had but 50 cents, the price of a sack of walnuts, which he had gathered on his way between his home and Pittsburgh.  Such was the humble beginning of the handsome fortune which he possessed at the time of his death.  Rich in years, in wisdom, in vast experience and in this world’s good, “Uncle Frank” as he was known to thousands passed away.  He had witnessed the great material developments in western Pennsylvania, the growth of the greatest railroad system in America, the establishment of the great steel and iron works in Alleghany County, the growth of Pittsburgh from a small town to a large city and the advancement of lands and territory from the forests to an open, thickly populated settlement.

He had been identified with every move for the betterment of the public, donating land for churches, schools and the ground for the depot on the Pennsylvania Railroad, which bears his name, “Wall Station”.  In 1866 Mr. Wall determined to move to Kentucky, where as he often said the lands were better and the advantages for educating his children greater.  After looking over the region, from  Maysville to Lexington, he finally came to this county, bought land and moved his family among us.  Though a stranger to us, he found a hearty welcome.  He ever loved our people and was happy among us.  From the beginning he was one of our most enterprising citizens.  In time he purchased large property in our county.  Between the poor and rich, the high and low, he made no distinction.  One of his marked characteristics was the respect and consideration always shown to the poor.  Our entire community was thrown into mourning over his death.  The vast concourse of people, who followed his remains to their last resting place attended the high esteem in which he was held.

No man among us can ever revert to the name and memory of Frank Wall and say that he ever deprived them of a farthing of their own, that he ever failed to comply with his promises and liberally compensated the labors for his home.  He was an honest man without guile, a brave man without affront, a friend without a stint, riveted with hooks of steel, a strong believe in Christianity and the traits of the church to which he belonged, the doctrine of which as he often said were taught him by his mother, whose name he often used in greatest reverence.  His memory will ever be dear to us, his honest upright character a lasting example for all who knew him.  Peace, eternal rest to him, who during a long and eventful life was pointed to as an honest, moral and God-fearing man.

The grief-stricken family has the sympathy of the entire community and the writer of this brief, hastily written sketch sensibly feels in the death of “Uncle Frank” the loss of a true and tried companion and friend.

from The News-Leader, Springfield, Washington County, Kentucky

Thursday, August 18, 1904

Death of Mrs. Wall

Mrs. Catherine Wall died at her home in Springfield last Saturday morning after a long illness of stomach trouble.  The deceased was the widow of Mr. Frank Wall, who was one of Washington County’s wealthiest citizens and who was accidentally killed in 1896 by a railroad train while in Pittsburgh on a business trip.  Mrs. Wall was a woman possessed of great strength of character and a bright mind.  Being possessed of quite a comfortable fortune, she attended to her business affairs personally and with ability.  Mrs. Wall enjoyed the admiration and respect of many friends in Springfield and there is a general expression of regret at her death.  Mrs. Wall’s maiden name was Catherine A. Kelley and her home was at Columbus, Georgia, where in 1847, she was married to Mr. Frank Wall,who was then an engineer on a steamboat running between Pittsburgh and New Orleans.  She went with her husband to Pittsburgh where they lived until 1866 when they moved to Washington County where Mr. Wall was for years a successful farmer and stock raiser.  The deceased was a devoted member of the Catholic Church and the funeral took place with High Requiem Mass at St. Dominic’s here Tuesday morning.  Two sons and four daughters survive as follows:  Mr. Frank Wall, of Louisville; and John K. Wall, of this place; Mrs. Ben E. Simms and Miss Fannie Wall of Springfield; Mrs. Kate Kujan of Nashville and Miss Bell Wall.