William E. Keller Obituary

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESWilliam E. Keller, February 12, 1840 – December 4, 1898.  Sue B. Keller, February 19, 1852 – March 27, 1936.  Spring Hill Cemetery, Mercer County, Kentucky

The Harrodsburg Herald, Mercer County Kentucky

Wednesday, December 7, 1898

Death of Rev. Wm. Keller

Rev. William E. Keller, pastor of the Parkland Presbyterian Church, Louisville, died of organic heart disease, Sunday, 4 o’clock p.m. He was born, reared and educated in Harrodsburg and is well known to our people. He was a son of Jacob and Louise Cardwell Keller and 58 years old at the time of his death. He read law with Judge Poston and was admitted to the bar at the time of the breaking out of the Civil War. He was among the very first to enlist in the cause of the South and went to Virginia where he joined the Confederate Army. In 1862, he became a member of Company E., first regiment of General John Hunt Morgan’s command, and continued a faithful and gallant soldier during the war. He returned home, resumed the practice of his profession and was married to Miss Cynthia P. Grimes, a daughter of Mr. Haldon Grimes, deceased, and Mrs. Ann Grimes, now of this place. He was elected county judge of this county and served one term of four years. His wife died, leaving one son, William. He abandoned the law and studied divinity. His first charge was over the Presbyterian Church at Bloomfield, where he established the reputation of a fervid and eloquent preacher. Later, he was called to Mt. Sterling, Bardstown and Meridian, Mississippi. His second wife was Miss Susan Harris, daughter of Nimrod and Elizabeth Harris, both deceased, of this place. Six children blessed this union, the eldest of these, Price, was accidentally drowned, a few years since, near Meridian, Mississippi. His faithful and devoted wife survives him. He leaves an only brother, Mr. George C. Keller, of this place. The remains were brought here, yesterday, on the 10:45 L.S. train and were conveyed immediately to Spring Hill Cemetery where interment took place after brief services at the grave by Rev. J. G. Hunter, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church.

Leave a Reply