Bloomfield, Chaplin and Fairfield: A History and Genealogy of Northeastern Nelson County, Kentucky, Robert P. Moore, 2003
Peter Hahn, born about 1740, Germany, died 1810, Nelson County, Kentucky, married 23 June 1763, Philadelphia, Marie Margaret Schmidt. He was a private in the Revolution in Capt. George P. Keeport’s company, Col. Nicholas Husacker’s German battalion composed of Maryland and Pennsylvania troops. He enlisted on 14 August 1776. He was apparently also in Maryland at some point in his life. The Christian Hahn and William Hahn branches are the only ones that left numerous descendants in Nelson County. Although the descendants of William Hahn are probably the larger of the two branches still in Nelson County today, after the 1850 census, one notes a scattering of this branch out of Nelson County and into the adjoining counties of Washington and Anderson. As far as can be determined, there are no descendants of Christian in Nelson County today who bear the name of Hahn. There is a multitude of Hahns in the area around Bloomfield and Chaplin.
William Hahn, born about 1785, died in Anderson County, Kentucky, November 1859, age 74, married 17 July 1814, Bullitt County, Kentucky, Sophia Crow, born about 1782. They were in Anderson County at the time of the 1850 census. Her name also appears as Sofira, Safira and Saphhira. She appears in Washington County, Kentucky, in the 1870 census immediately after the household of Norman Hahn. With her is Elizabeth Hahn [widow?], born about 1842, with children Florida Hahn, born about 1859; William Hahn, born about 1861; Daniel Hahn, born about 1858.
Children of William Hahn and Sophia Crow:
- William Hahn, born about 1818, married 7 April 1842, Anderson County, Kentucky, Mary Ann Dismore, born about 1826. There were living near Bloomfield in 1850. He was a chairmaker. It is probably with him that the Hahn chairs of Nelson County originated. In 1870 he is in Washington County.
- Christopher C. Hahn, married 23 May 1839, Nelson County, Kentucky, Lucy Gatewood.
- Jeremiah Vardeman Hahn, born about 1818, married 22 October 1840, Nelson County, Kentucky, Louisa Calver, born about 1820, daughter of Richard Calvert.
- Samuel C. Hahn, born about 1827, married 1 March 1849, Nelson County, Kentucky, Elizabeth M. Calver, born about 1823, daughter of Garrett Calvert and Diana Glass. They were living near Chaplin in 1850. They are not in the 1860 Nelson County census. They probably moved to Anderson County, where they appear in the 1870 census.
- Mary Ann Hahn, married 12 Jan 1850, Anderson County, Kentucky, Robert Loper/Lober/Lowber. The two of them are with William and Sophia in Anderson County in 1850, but his name is given as Henry.
- Norman Shelton Hahn, born 28 November 1828, died 17 January 1893, married 24 June 1851, Washington County, Kentucky, Millie Yocum, born 7 December 1833, died 6 January 1898, daughter of Henry Yocum, Jr., and Malinda King. Both are buried at Fairview Christian Church, Washington County, Kentucky.
- Haden Edwards Hahn, born June 1832, married 22 September 1853, Anderson County, Kentucky, Catherine Dedman, daughter of Peter Dedman.
- Dillard Hahn, born about 1834, married Elizabeth ?
- Dudley Hahn
Categories: Family Stories