Edward Edwards Linton and Catherine Elizabeth Taylor are my great-great-grandparents. Edward was the son of William Linton and Eliza Lyon Moran, born August 13, 1824, Washington County, died September 5, 1886, in Marion County. Catherine was the daughter of John Compton Taylor and Susan Clark Edwards, born January 13, 1830, died May 28, 1910. Edward and Catherine were cousins; Edward was the grandson of Captain John Linton and Ann Mason; Catherine was a great-granddaughter of John and Ann.
This is possibly a photograph of Edward Linton. One of the few unmarked photographs I have – a daguerreotype, with the image printed on glass. The only other possibility for this man would be Edward Edwards Taylor, Catherine Taylor’s brother.
Here is a photograph of Catherine Taylor Linton taken about 1902. This is a portion of a large family photograph, taken in front of the house Captain John Linton built when he moved from Loudoun County, Virginia, to Washington County, Kentucky, in 1818. Only a small portion of the house in 1902 was the original, it having been added to multiple times over the years.
According to my great-grandmother, Frances Barber Linton, third youngest child of Edward and Catherine, her parents had four children who died as infants and were buried in the Linton Cemetery.
A list of the named children of Edward and Catherine Linton:
- Alice Clark Linton, October 2, 1855-October 30, 1935, died at the age of 80, never married.
- John Edgar Linton, December 19, 1857-March 11, 1919, died at the age of 62, never married.
- Annie Eliza Linton, December 8, 1860-April 29, 1879, died at the age of 19 years.
- Margaret Gordon Linton, March 16, 1864-May 17, 1865, died at the age of 1 year.
- Frances Barber Linton, August 13, 1867-August 2, 1945, died at the age of 77, married Robert E. Lee Montgomery. The seven children of Frances and Robert were the only grandchildren Edward and Eliza had – Alice, Margaret, Laura, Lillian, Robert, Edward and Benjamin.
- Mary Kell Linton, March 16, 1870-February 15, 1890, died at the age of 19.
- Martha Susan Linton, March 14, 1873-January 25, 1876, died age the age of 2.
The Commonwealth of Kentucky
To any Minister of the Gospel, or other Person, legally authorized to solemnize Matrimony.
You are permitted to solemnize the Rites of Matrimony between Edward Linton and Catharine Elizabeth Taylor, the requirements of the law having been complied with.
Witness my signature, as Clerk of the Washington County Court, this 23rd day of March 1852.
John B. Starr, Clerk
This is to Certify, that, on the twenty-third day of March 1852 the Rites of Matrimony were legally solemnized by me, between Edward Linton, aged 27 years, and Catharine Elizabeth Taylor, aged 22 years, at the house of John C. Taylor in the County of Washington in the presence of John Janes and John C. Taylor. The parties born in Washington County, Kentucky.
Signed, Jesse Birch
Categories: Marriage Records