During our visit to Logan County, Kentucky, in March of 2013, Ritchey and I were fortunate to meet a Linton cousin – Garwood Linton! He is also a descendant of Captain John Hancock Linton through son Benjamin Franklin Linton. I descend from Captain John’s son William and his daughter Nancy. Garwood was kind enough to let us photo the family bible of John Wesley and Emma Adelaide Proctor Linton – his ancestors. As you can see from the above photo, the bible has seen many years and shows its condition – but think of the history contained in that bible! It is a treasured possession!
This certifies that the rite of Holy Matrimony was celebrated between John Wesley Linton of Logan County, Kentucky, and Emma Adelaide Proctor of Logan County, Kentucky, on the 11th day of November 1869, at M. D. Bell, by Rev. W. J. Taylor. Witness: C. F. James and John E. Hollins.
- John Wesley Linton was born November 14, 1843
- Emma Adelaide Linton was born October 11, 1850
- Benjamin Proctor Linton was born March 8, 1872
- John Warder Linton was born June 20, 1875
- James Thomas Linton was born November 30, 1877
- Lucy Newman Linton was born December 21, 1880
- Hugh Walter Linton was born February 22, 1883
- John Wesley Linton and Emma Adelaide Proctor were united in marriage November 11, 1869
- Benjamin Proctor Linton and Lucy Vitula Ragland were united in marriage December 24, 1895
- James Thomas Linton and Allie May Beauchamp were married October 25, 1905, by Rev. J. H. Moore
- John Warder Linton and Eugenia Howard were united in marriage
- Hugh Walter Linton and Lydabel Garnett were united in marriage February 5, 1913, at the home of the bride’s father, Walter F. Garnett, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, by Rev. Calvin M. thompson, Baptist minister
- Lucy Newman Linton died March 15, 1903, of typhoid fever at Auburn, Kentucky
- Emma Adelaide Proctor Linton died May 3, 1928, at home, Corinth, Kentucky.
- John Wesley Linton died July 4, 1930, at B. F. Linton’s, Russellville, Kentucky
- Benjamin Proctor Linton died January 19, 1941, at home, Corinth, Kentucky
- Hugh Walter Linton died March 21, 1945, at home, Hopkinsville, Kentucky
- James Thomas Linton died November , 1945, at home, Russellville, Kentucky
- John Warder Linton died November , 1945, at home, Russellville, Kentucky
I do not have the marriage date for John Warder Linton and Eugenia Howard – and I notice it is not in the family bible. The dates of death for the two brothers who died in November of 1945, with younger brother Hugh dying in March of the same year, are James Thomas Linton died November 13, and John Warder Linton died exactly two weeks later, November 27, 1945.
Lucy Newman Linton never married and had no descendants.
Benjamin Proctor Linton and Florence Vitula Ragland had eight children: Maurice Ragland, Thomas Densmore, Benjamin Proctor, Jr., Lucy Evelyn, Amanda, John Lee, Vitula Florence and Sara Elizabeth Linton.
John Warder Linton and Eugenia Bell Howard had two children: Martha Elizabeth and Eugenia Howard Linton.
James Thomas Linton and Allie Mae Beauchamp had two children: James Clark and May Lucy Linton.
Hugh Walter Linton and Eliza “Lydabel” Belfield Garnett had three children: Hugh Walter, Jr., Mary Adelaide and Frances Garnett Linton.