Family Stories

The Bourbon News – July 19, 1904

The Bourbon News, Paris, Kentucky

July 19, 1904

Excitement at Funeral

A catastrophe was miraculously averted a funeral at Maysville, Saturday afternoon. Just after the body of James West had been taken from the hearse the horses became frightened and ran away, through the cemetery, tearing down grave-stones, passing through the crowd of mourners, narrowly missing them, and as they were going out the gate the hearse struck a post, wrecking it, tearing the hearse loose, and before they were caught the horses had run several miles. It is a miracle that no one was injured while the frightened animals were plunging through the crowd of people.

Armstrong – Freeze

The marriage of Miss Isabelle Armstrong, and Mr. Samuel M. Freeze, of Cannel City, was quietly celebrated Friday afternoon, at 2 o’clock, at Christ Church Cathedral, Lexington, Dean Baker P. Lee officiating. The news comes as quite a surprise as the young couple succeeded in keeping their secret until the hour of the ceremony. The only attendants were Miss Bettie Brent Johnson, of this city, the maid of honor, and Dr. William F. Walz, the best man. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Armstrong, formerly of Paris, parents of the bride; Mr. James Tocher, Mr. John Skain and two or three friends were the only ones present at the ceremony.

The bride was given in marriage by her father and the couple knelt at the altar for the final prayer and blessing. After receiving congratulations and good wishes of their friends they left for Cincinnati, thence to Cannel City, where they will make their home. Later they expect to go to the St. Louis Exposition.

The bride is a beautiful young girl and is very popular and much loved here in Paris, her childhood home. The groom is a most attractive young Kentuckian, tall and handsome, and extremely popular in Lexington, where he lived for some time. He is now in business in Cannel City.


Mrs. Fannie Clark, aged about 21 years, wife of W. Ray Clark, died at the St. Joseph Hospital, Lexington, Saturday morning at 1 o’clock. Mrs. Clark was taken to the hospital Friday evening, to be operated on for appendicitis, but after arriving at the hospital it was found that other complications had developed and that an operation would be useless. She became unconscious about 10 o’clock Friday night and passed peacefully away at the time stated above. Her mother, Mrs. Joseph M. Rion, and mother-in-law, Mrs. Walter Clark, were with her in the last hours.

Truly, it is sad, that this lovely young woman should be taken just at the time when life seemed brightest. The happy young couple had just started to house-keeping, and the husband just entered into business for himself, and a bright little two-year-old son to cheer their home. She was a beautiful girl, bright and cheerful, and everyone who knew her loved her. The announcement of her death was a great shock to the entire community, as her illness was of short duration and not widely known.

The funeral was held Sunday afternoon, at the residence of her father, J. M. Rion, at 4 o’clock, conducted by Elder Carey Morgan, assisted by Elder J. S. Sweeney. The pall-bearers were George Wyatt, Jr., Nathan Bayless, Jr., Dr. E. L. Stevens, John Davis, Jr., Fithian Lilleston, James Daugherty, Rion Dow and Rudolph Davis.


Little Miss Ophelia Stoddard Huddleston, aged about 12 years, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Lew Huddleston, on Stoner Avenue, Saturday afternoon, of peritonitis. She was a bright, sweet girl, and was only sick a few days. The funeral was held at the residence yesterday morning at 10 o’clock, services by Rev. Abram, of the Episcopal Church. The pall-bearers were E. B. Hedges, Dr. C. J. Clarke, W. C. Dodson and Dr. F. M. Faries.

Leave a Reply